Chapter 15

Warning. Contains scenes of graphic surgery. If you are particularly squeamish, this first part is not for you. So hold tight until it's over or skip it.
Cheers.
                             ***

Violet Ankamah's POV.

"Be quick, rookie. This is a surgery, not a patrol." I say sternly to one of my junior surgeons.

I've been dragged away from some heavy paperwork and now I'm in a bad mood.

A deadly one, at that.

"Yes, Doctor" he says quickly, as he speeds up tying the back of my scrubs up.

"Has the general anesthetic kicked in?" I ask.

"Yes Doctor Ankamah." He says, as I finish scrubbing up my hands and arms, as another doctor makes sure my hair cap is secured.

"Run me over the statistics once more." I say, walking up to the operating table to see a young woman on the table, completely unconscious.

"We have an 16 year old girl, Johaan Davies, bi-racial. Weight of 57KG and she was brought in a couple of days ago, dismissed and then brought back here after a more in depth referral from her GP" the doctor says as I continue scrubbing in.

I look at the patient.

She doesn't look bi-racial.

She looks a lot darker skinned.

None of my business.

A statement like that is extremely ignorant to begin with.

Black people come in all shades.

"Her heart rate is stable, blood pressure intact and all signs of breathing is cordial. Allergic to penicillin only. Other than that, all other stats are stable" the Doctor informs me.

I nod.

"And from what I've heard, she has a mass on her abdomen, that needs taking care of" I state, picking up a scalpel, and making sure it's the right length.

"Yes, ma'am" the doctor says.

I pull the sheet that is on top of the woman to expose her lower abdomen.

A large boil like abscess on the side of her stomach.

The surrounding area is slightly yellow and it is clear that it has stretched out over time. The skin around it is also swollen and irritated.

Please don't tell me this is what I think it is.

I sigh to myself.

If it is, I will lose my shit with one, if not all of these doctors.

"Make sure we have a draining pipe on standby" I order.

A nurse does as he is told and I rub a chemical sanitiser on the abscess, slowly slipping the scalpel into the side of bump.

It immediately starts to leak a dark yellow-green fluid.

Monitors around us start to rapidly beep as a warning, making several doctors jump.

I scowl.

"Now which one of you fucking idiots, forgot to mention the fact that this is infected?!" I ask, my voice slightly raised.

The liquid rapidly starts to cover my gloved hands rapidly and I feel my skin set on fire with anger.

Time to spring into action.

Don't panic your doctors further.

You can deal with them when your patient isn't at risk.