Chapter 40

Violet Ankamah's POV.

"Thank you. My team and I will be in contact with you as to whether you have the position or not." I say to the fifteenth interviewee of the day.

Only one is them has stood out to me.

I think her name was Genesis.

I'm putting Kayla on pregnancy leave as soon as possible, so that means I will need a new secretary.

I'm sort of relieved.

It will be a fresh start.

But the training will be extensive.

This is a hospital.

I can't afford any fuck ups.

I stand up and I stretch out, with a yawn.

Just a couple more hours and my shift will be over!

I go to my window to look at the view.

The sun is setting over the New York skyline.

I do this every day.

It's relaxing after a stressful shift.

A couple of minutes later, it is over.

I get back to my seat to do my final rounds and just as I do, I hear my phone buzzing with a call.

I look at the screen.

'Orion Miller'.

Should I change his name?

I'll think on it later.

I pick up the phone call.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey, baby. Your shift ends in a bit, right?" He asks.

"Yessir" I respond, writing something down and trying not to grin like an idiot.

I type some stuff into the spreadsheet I'm working on and then I save it, giving him my attention.

"Are you coming over for dinner tonight?" I ask.

It's my turn this week to cook, since he did it last week.

"Actually, that's why I called. I can't make it tonight, baby I have to pack" he says.

My heart drops a little.

"Pack?" I ask him dolefully.

"I got an emergency call at our Tennessee branch talking about some accounts being suspended because of potential fraud cases and a bunch of stuff that needs to be fixed. They want me on a plane first thing in the morning to do some damage control" he says.

He sounds beyond tired and I can almost visualise him rubbing his face, looking stressed out.

"Have you got someone taking care of Aaliyah?" I ask.

He mentioned earlier in the week that Trinity had a huge case to work in another city on and Josiah had been working late on big orders, so he had Aaliyah for a little longer than usual.

"Mhm. As it turns out, Trinity is just about to go on pregnancy leave, so she and Josiah have cut down on hours before the baby gets here. So Aaliyah will be staying with them a while" he says, stifling a yawn.

He seems so tired!

"I'll make sure to call in and check in on Trin every once in a while" I promise.

"Thank you baby. You're the best" he says.

"How long will you be gone for?" I ask.

He sighs down the phone.