chapter 32

"A-are you sure?" Harry asks with a shaky voice, just as shaken as Zayn is. "It doesn't look like I'm having twins."

Zayn nods internally at that. Harry doesn't look like he's having twins, his stomach is not that big, not even as big as louis was when he was pregnant with just one baby. But Freddie was a big baby, even as he came out premature.

"Well, not yet. But it'd start to show soon enough," she assures. "Right now, I suggest you just take it easy. Which means no carrying heavy objects and avoid getting stressed."

Harry nods. "Okay."

He turns to his boyfriend. "Zayn?"

"What?" Zayn asks, still trying to process the new information.

"Why are you so quiet?" Harry asks. He almost curses at himself, he should be focused on Harry.

"S-sorry. How do you feel?"

"It's almost like I'm finding out I'm pregnant for the second time," Harry says. "I'm a bit overwhelmed."

"Me too," Zayn says. "But we can do this, right? It's only having one more extra baby than we planned. Damn, I'm about to have three kids in the course of a year."

Harry frowns at that, the statement making him feel weird. Zayn notices.

"Be extra careful, avoid anything that might stress you," The doctor advises.

"I'll make sure of that," Zayn assures. "Can we get some copies to go?"

"Of course," the doctor says.

...

During the ride back home, Harry is as quiet as a mouse. Zayn feels like he's still trying to process the news so he doesn't say anything to him either. He's still trying to process too, he knows that their current lives are practically over. Everything's going to change and he's not sure they're ready for it.

He shakes his head from that thought. Now's not the time to be thinking like that, he loves Harry and he's excited for their baby. Sure, now they're going to get an extra one but it's going to work out.

Harry disappears into their bedroom, now Zayn realizes that something is really wrong so he goes to talk to him.

"Hey," He walks up to his boyfriend. "You good?"

Harry nods.

"Really? Because you don't look excited for someone that just found out they're having twins,"

"Am I supposed to be excited? You aren't,"

"Fuck, I don't know. I know you're not supposed to be quiet, that's for sure,"

"I just," Harry starts, running a hand through his hair. "I need to know that you're in this with me. Fully."

Zayn's entire expression changes. He looks hurt.

"Do you actually think that little of me?" He asks. "Harry, I left Louis, we live together, we've been expecting a child and you think just because we're having an extra one, I'm just suddenly gonna change my mind and bail? What the fuck."

"I didn't say that,"

"How the fuck can you even ask me that?"

"This isn't about you, it's about me. I'm the one carrying these babies, I need to know for sure that you're going to be here for me. Zayn I love you, but sometimes I just need you to reassure me, that's all I'm asking,"

"For godsake Harry, there's some questions you should know the answer too already. How do you think I feel hearing you ask this shit all the time?"