Chapter Seven: Smash or Pass

It was the late hours of the night, the guys sleeping downstairs on inflatable mattresses were gathered in the living room; Kaminari one of them. Sero, Mineta, Tokoyami and Shouji were all downstairs as well. The rest of the students who had come were upstairs, the chatter of the girls gossiping behind a closed door echoed in a single room.

"Damn, I'd smash her any day," Mineta was practically drooling over a photo from a list of the "Top 50 Heroines of The Decade".

"For a woman who wields lashes as weapons, I'd say she's pretty badass," Sero nodded his head as Mineta glazed through the magazine he was scrolling through on his phone on. Countless articles written about each heroines' lives were typed along the sides with quotes.

"Hey Kaminari, smash or pass Winged Liner?" Mineta pointed his screen toward Kaminari, who was lying on his stomach with his pillow under his chest, staring at his phone.

"Pass," Kaminari replied simply without even looking back.

"OHH, what about Lady Rain?" Mineta tilted his head toward Kaminari as Tokoyami lifted his head from curiosity. "Smash or pass Lady Rain?" Mineta asked.

"Pass," Kaminari responded.

"A woman of true darkness," Tokoyami held a hand over his chest, making a scrunched up facial expression of loyalty. "Even I don't deserve to stand in her shadow," Tokoyami turned his head down.

"We should play Smash or Pass: Heroine Edition," Mineta mentioned. "Awe, what about Countess Revue," Mineta breathed.

"Pass," Kaminari spoke again.

"Seriously? She's a literal goddess," Mineta praised. "How 'bout Golden Empress?"

"Why are you asking me all these? Don't you have something better to do?" Kaminari didn't bother turning back, because he already knew the shocked facial expression Mineta was probably making.

"Oh, but wouldn't you just love to smash the female heroine Earphone Jack," Sero's voice slithered through his teeth.

"What the fu-, she wouldn't count," Kaminari stammered, whipping his head back.

"Technically, we're all considered heroes, so it does," he shot a devilish grin at Kaminari as Tokoyami and Shouji looked at one another, then back at two talking.

"What! No, you gotta have standards, she barely even made it to a B cup. She's not worth it," Mineta retorted with an eye roll as he was picked up by the shirt collar.

"You fucking say anything else like that and I'll make sure to electrocute your ass real good if we ever go 1 on 1 during training," Kaminari brought Mineta to his face, his eyes seemed to glow an intense yellow from within their amber hue. He abruptly dropped the purple haired kid as he clumsily fell onto the floor.

"Oh, hit a nerve, huh?" Sero raised an eyebrow as both Shouji and Tokoyami shared nervous glances.

"Shut the fuck up, Sero," Kaminari kicked aside a pillow as he left the room, leaving the boys in awkward silence.

". . .Earphone Jack? So he has a thing for Jirou of all people?" Mineta made a repelled expression. He was incredibly lucky the girls were upstairs and their door was closed, otherwise he would've been killed on site.

"I don't think you should be judging people by their appearance is what Kaminari was insinuating," Shouji said with a matter-of-fact tone.

"Kyoka Jirou is the only girl who will ever understand what true pain seethes beneath alternative rock song lyrics," Tokoyami said poetically.

"She's got good traits, you're just an asshole," Sero shook his head at Mineta and rolled back over to his blankets on the couch, glancing up when he heard the the front door creak open. Kaminari's silhouette slipped outside, with a single click of the door closing, he left.

Sero turned back on his side, facing his phone screen.

He wondered how long this had been going on. If Kaminari didn't like her for her appearance alone, it must've meant he truely did love her.

Kaminari sat alone on the wooden steps of the cabin, picking at the grass growing in-between the cracks of the concrete below him. The stars glowed brightly above, with the moon reaching it's peak for the night as it drew nearer to 12.

Kaminari had slowly grown from that immature phase of ogling girls like Mineta obsessively did. He was more focused on one person in particular, except– he wasn't sure if she had ever even seen him than anything more than a friend. He was used to Mineta constantly bugging him about how good Asui looked in dresses or how Yaoyorozu had a 'perfectly defined body'. Although the purple haired kid wasn't wrong, Kaminari didn't like either of the girls that way. There was one thing that irritated him though, he'd always find a way to ignore Jirou or say something to degrade her behind her back. He hated it.

She deserved to be admired too. Just as much as any other girl.

The middle of their second year Kaminari decided it was better he'd distance himself from Mineta, it'd be better for both of them. Kaminari would have a clean criminal record and Mineta would live another day. (Lmao)

But he knew Jirou was so much more than anything grape balls had to say.

Intelligent, sarcastic, witty, not to mention very sassy if you knew her well enough. Did anyone even care to notice the adorable little snorts she gave whenever she wanted to hold in a laugh? Or how irresistible her nervous lip bites were? How she wore so many memories along her wrists in a plethora of hair ties, chain bracelets and wristbands? How her voice always seemed to have an excited, hyper undertone when she spoke about music or anything of the like?

Did anyone notice how she ever self consciously held her arms whenever she felt uncomfortable or uneasy? Or notice that when she ever legitimately got angry she'd break her own personal bubble just to defend her friends? Or even notice that whenever she was on the verge of tears she'd ball her hand in a fist and press it against her mouth to hold them in?

Well he noticed.

He noticed it all.

'Friend.'

That word stung his ears whenever he heard Jirou say that about him.

He wondered if she thought about him as much as he thought about her.