Chapter Nineteen: Mutual Love

After the school gymnasium closed, they took a stroll outside toward the dorms, talking well into the night. Kaminari reached his arm out, seeming to grab at something in the air.

"What are you doing?" Jirou asked curiously. She had taken off her shoes and was walking barefoot. Kaminari had taken off his coat and hung it over an arm, Jirou liked how his suspenders made him look like a dork. A handsome, loveable, dork.

"Catching fireflies," he replied, hopping occasionally to reach another before it flew off.

"Oh, wait," Jirou bent down, cupping a bug in her hands from the grass. "Here," she turned around and lifted her palm the same time he brought another to her. The tiny lightning bugs wandered around on their hands, backsides blinking in sync, illuminating in timed beats, meeting in the center by brushing antennae together and floating into the air.

"How do they get their butts to light up?" Kaminari's eyes followed the bugs into the sky, eventually losing them.

"I don't know," Jirou fixed her shoes in her hands, black wedged heels, open toed with a thick band that wrapped around the ankle. "Still pretty, nonetheless," she breathed in admiration at the thousands of blinking fireflies around them.

Kaminari stole a glance, her eyes glittering with mystified intrigue and calm serenity made him want to go absolutely crazy. He loved her. Loved her to the moon and back.

It was convenient that no one from their class had caught them on their way back to the dormitories.

They walked inside, the smell of the walls and carpet greeting them. The commons room was found empty. Either everyone was already asleep in their dorms, they hadn't left for the dance, or were returning just like they had. They entered the elevator, talking about everything from their clothes to their dreams and aspirations, but when the elevator opened on their floor, the talking drew quiet.

"So. . ." Jirou trailed as they stood in the center of the hall, exactly as they had before they left.

"So," Kaminari echoed in the same awkward way. "I'll. . .see you tomorrow," he brought his pointer finger and thumb together, rubbing the fabric of the coat he held on his arm.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow," Jirou replied, playing with the hem of her dress nervously. They glanced one another in the eyes before both panicking and darting their gaze away.

They both knew they should've moved and left by this point. But neither wanted to.

They wanted to kiss one another so fucking badly.

"Goodnight," Kaminari said softly.

"Goodnight Kam," Jirou said with equal warmth before turning around to leave, each of their dorm doors closing in unison.

Jirou leaned her head on her door, the mirror hanging from the back of it reflecting her indigo hair. Her hand was balled into a light fist before she opened it to lay her palm flat. It was getting harder and harder to keep her heartbeat under control.

She thought she'd gotten over him. She thought she felt comfortable to have him around—well, she did—but now the thoughts of him holding her in his arms swarmed her head. She wanted him, only him, nothing but him to love her.

She wished the feeling of anxiety and rejection fled her body, she didn't realize how badly it'd been holding her prisoner for the past two years. She sunk onto the floor, her dress balled up in the corner between the door and wall. With a sigh she brought her head back to stare at the ceiling in silence.

Why was he so stupid, so fucking charming and sweet with his idiotic face and bright eyes. Those eyes, something she admired. They were so bright, like the sun itself took place within him as brilliant, shining orbs. He just radiated positivity and sunshine, fully capturing her heart despite her denials.