Chapter Thirty-One: Emergency Text

It wasn't anything like a passing, but for some reason, to Ashido, it sort of felt like it was. The passing of her friend. The death of Kyoka Jirou. The Kyoka Jirou who had no fears to speak her mind, the Kyoka Jirou who had the greatest sarcasm and exceptionally gifted voice, the Kyoka Jirou who once remembered who she was, now reduced to the timid, paranoid girl in the room with them.

A clock monotonously ticked from the counter in the back. Jirou was sitting at a table, Yaoyorozu sitting on the seat opposite of her. Ashido had requested another chair, which they brought in shortly after; didn't match the table set at all however.

Yaoyorozu was pointing at the paper Jirou was writing on, chatting and smiling softly.

Ashido knew they weren't genuine smiles.

She was hiding the pain.

Yaoyorozu had lost her friend too. Her best friend. She was still mourning her death. Visiting frequently to check up on her progress only diminished the hope Yaoyorozu had. They came in every other day, Jirou never seemed enthusiastic to meet them, nor did she ever figure out who they ever were. Every time they left Yaoyorozu always cried.

'Nothing helps.'

'She forgot again.'

'She's gone.'

She cried so much, Ashido was unsure if she had any more tears left in her.

No one could focus in class anymore. It seemed to have a different mood now that her seat was empty. She noticed Kaminari rarely spoke. He had given up.

And a part of Ashido was too.

A quirk shouldn't have an effect on someone for well over a week, let alone one day. Ashido wasn't there when it happened, she was still confused on how it happened, but would probably never find out. Their quirk experts were drawing a thin line, clueless on what other things to do next. The criminal refused to speak, and executing him would do nothing in helping Jirou. They needed him alive, but he was unwilling to explain anything.

"Your hair and skin is pink," Jirou's voice snapped Ashido out of her thoughts. "Did you dye them?" She tilted her head with curiosity.

"Oh," Ashido laughed lightly. "Ah, no, it's natural," Ashido brought her palms up to the table as Jirou glanced over them.

Jirou had done the same thing two days ago when they visited. She never acted like her normal self She was more like a timid child, terrified of new people, but intrigued about the smallest things. They'd walk into the room and Jirou would immediately try to distance herself, sitting on her bed until they coaxed her into sitting at a seat. She usually asked about who had written in the notebook on the table, or noticed that Ashido was pink.

"Oh," Jirou took her palms and felt them over, letting go to ask a question. "Who are you?"

"Mina," Ashido replied, putting a hand on her chest, then gesturing to her friend. "And this is Momo."

"Oh, okay," Jirou replied simply, looking back at her notebook to doodle random swirls.

Ashido overheard Yaomomo give a soft sigh, bringing her arms up to the table while cupping her mouth with one hand. If it was already painful enough for them, Ashido couldn't imagine how horrifying this was to Jirou's parents. A notification vibrated her phone on the table, startling Jirou. Ashido took her phone, finding Kaminari had texted her.

Right, he was going to that ice cream place today with Hanta and the others, wasn't he?

She opened her phone to read his text. It was a short one. Yaoyorozu looked over when Ashido fell unnaturally quiet, finding her facial expression looked concerned.