Chapter Thirty-Nine: Chilling Phone Call

A tired Ashido came out of the curtains after changing into some clothes, rubbing her hair out in a towel. Steam coated the entire girl's showers, making her vision blurry, the steam felt nice though.

"Oh, hello Mina," someone greeted her once she arrived to the sinks, where Yaoyorozu had taken her hair down from her towel.

"Hi Momo," she yawned, rubbing the horns on her head.

She looks happier now. Ashido thought.

She knew Jirou's disappearance from school hurt everyone, but from what Ashido saw, it had hit Momo the hardest. She went from acing every single exam to dipping to below average, and if Ashido knew anything, it was that Yaomomo doing poor on anything educational meant the test was either legitimately hard or she just wasn't trying. She felt relieved her friend was back to normal.

"Hey Mina," Yaoyorozu spoke while brushing out her long, dark locks, turning her gaze to the pink girl beside her. Yaoyorozu seemed to be thinking about something.

"What's up?"

"I think. . ." Yaoyorozu seemed to hesitate. "I think we should drop Electric Amps."

"What?"

"Floating Curls too," Yaoyorozu looked back at the mirror, running the brush steadily through her hair.

"But why? We totally have sound, concluding evidence after like 3 years," Ashido stepped closer to her friend, lightly shaking her shoulder. "Three years Momo!"

Yaoyorozu only gave a placid smile, her eyes tracing the faucet of the sink.

"As much as I hate to throw that research away too," Yaoyorozu continued as her voice grew quiet. "I wouldn't want to hurt her again."

Ashido tilted her head, she didn't know what Yaoyorozu was going on about, but she figured it'd be left unanswered for the time being.

"Relationships are a delicate thing, I want to help her, not force her into something that makes her uncomfortable," Yaoyorozu confessed. "So if all I can do is assist and protect her, it's what I'll do."

Ashido blinked, confused, but she admitted; playing with people sounded childish. They ended up walking out of the showers together, quietly chatting to one another as they travelled back into the common area. Somehow, several people were still down here, despite the intense training they had had after school today. Ashido wondered how in the world they still had the energy to be awake.

"Yo, any of you see Kaminari walk in?" Sero bounded over to them from the couches on their way to the elevator.

"Sorry, haven't seen him," Yaoyorozu replied. "Why?"

"I wanna show him something I found," Sero answered, scrolling through his new phone, then pausing to look back at the dormitory entrance. "I know Shouji mentioned he saw him go outside with Jirou earlier, but I don't know if they're already back or if they're on their way here."

"Have you tried texting one of them?" Ashido asked.

"I tried Kami but he's not replying," Sero scratched his head. "I wouldn't think they were planning on coming back late, but one of us has to be awake to let them inside after the doors lock."

Yaoyorozu glanced moved over toward the kitchen, glancing at a clock hung on the wall. It was already 8 PM, which means the doors were automatically locked anyway by now.

"I'll stay down here with you," Ashido said when Yaomomo returned.

"I wonder what they're doing out so late," Sero glanced through the dorm windows. It was pitch black out, the changing of the seasons caused the sun to fade faster.