Chapter Twenty-Six: Regret

School had continued like normal.

Continued without her.

Bakugo's memory loss was only temporary. The quirk experts couldn't figure out why Jirou's was much more severe. The hippocampus region of the brain is typically reserved for memories, which were all currently still there, but something prevented her from unlocking them. Bakugo returned to school Tuesday perfectly fine, still a bit groggy and quieter than his usual self, but was eventually back to boisterous Bakugo by Wednesday.

It was Saturday now, Kaminari could barely hear Sensei Aizawa through all of his clouded thoughts. He glanced back at the empty seat beside him.

She was sitting there, just Monday morning.

And now she didn't even remember his name.

He turned back to his desk before placing his head in his hands. Kaminari had grown quiet ever since Monday, as well as her friends and classmates. He checked in with the nurse usually every morning or day after school. She never seemed to know him, never even acknowledged the fact that the brunette nurse visited her every day, didn't even recognize her own parents.

Whatever that snake bastard did ruined everything.

The bell rang and the rest of the day went by like nothing. Because nothing mattered anymore. Nothing had meaning if he wasn't doing anything for her. Nothing.

His class never bothered him either, it was sort of a mutual agreement to end the teasing with such a painful subject at hand. He stepped into the elevator with Sero at his side as they returned to their dorms.

"Hey man, you've been really quiet the past few days, if you need to talk I'm always here," Sero offered in the silence of the elevator.

Kaminari did nothing but shrug, the elevator stopped on his floor as he stepped out. Sero waved a goodbye when elevator whirred up toward his floor. Kaminari glanced at Jirou's dorm; quiet, no after-school music or angelic singing voice. Just silence. He hated the silence. That was one of his phobias. Unbearable silence. But hearing her voice through the crack of her door every afternoon as she practiced with her instruments soothed his fears.

He opened his dorm, leaving his bag on the ground as he shut the door. Taking off his shoes, he threw himself onto his bed, hugging a pillow to his chest as he turned to face his mirror. Pictures hung along the edges in jagged and messy alignment. Tons with Sero and Kirishima, a few with Yaoyorozu and Ashido, but a majority with Jirou over the years. One where they were at a boardwalk carnival, another during their big 'End Of The Year' party last March, and another before their festival performance as first years. Those same photos were hung up in her room as well, as a memento of their friendship. He squeezed the pillow tighter gazing over each of them, feeling his face grow warm. He couldn't stop the sadness from escaping his body in painful cries of heartache and regret.

I could've asked her sooner.

I could've moved my damn feet.

I could've had her with me, safe and sound.

He buried his face into his pillow.

The sunlight drew darker as clouds took it's place. Kaminari hadn't touched his bag from it's spot on the floor.