Chapter Fifty-Eight: The Past

Several knocks startled him at his dorm.

"Hey, I thought you'd be down with everyone," Jirou looked up at him through the gap in his door.

"Oh, yeah," he rubbed his neck. "I'll be down," he replied solemnly, like his mind was somewhere else.

"Okay," Jirou nodded and twisted the fabric on the hem of her T-shirt.

She wanted to ask why he seemed off, but shook off the thought.

"I'll see you downstairs," she replied solemnly.

With a light nod he closed his room; no reply. She stood at the door, hands poised flat against its wood, and exhaling a sigh, left shortly after.

"Sero," someone had tapped him, prompting him to look up fom his seat.

"Wh-" before he could reply, they yanked his arm up so he'd stand and follow them.

"Sero, answer me something and answer it truthfully," a short, indigo-haired girl had tugged him up to one of the windows.

"Uh okay, about what?" He asked, sipping from the drink in his hand.

"About Kaminari, haven't you noticed something off?" She placed her hands on her hips with an indignant stare.

"No, not really? I came to his dorm yesterday and we played games on his PS4 the entire afternoon, he seemed totally fine, we were laughing the whole time," Sero shrugged.

"Really?" Jirou scrunched her bows together then shook her head. "How about this past week, or how about the entire month?"

"Uh, I don't know, he seems the same to me. The only time I noticed something off was when we had that argument-" Sero scratched the side of his head.

"Argument?"

Sero blinked a few times.

"I mean- uh. . .it's all personal jazz, you don't need to know," he fibbed. "But that was back in the fall, it's all sorted out by now."

"Okay. . ." she looked at him skeptically, but respected his privacy. "Just. . .look out for him for me," she went to walk away, and as she did she yelled out another thing. "Oh, you also have a sticker on your back!"

"I have a what??" He asked, setting his drink on the windowsill and feeling around the back of his shirt.

The sticker phantom was back, and this time had tagged all the tall people in the lower back.

He eventually gave up and returned to his spot at the dining tables, which was still left conveniently empty upon his arrival.

Jirou didn't know about his fight with Kaminari. He guessed it was better she didn't know.

"What the hell Sero!" Said a quite aggravated voice.

"And the all time champ wins for the 3rd time!" He hollered, exuberantly raising his hand and controller in the air.

2nd year had just started, it was early June and pretty soon they'd be excused for Summer Break.

"Stop it, I'm winning the next one," he felt a light push on his ribs from the person next to him as they picked up their controller.

Sooner or later, he'd beat her in the 4th game.

"What?! It's never fun playing with you because you always win," Jirou set the controller in front of her and crossed her arms.

"I think I'm just better than you," Sero put a hand to his chin with a smirk.

"Or you don't have a life," she retorted a snark remark and rolled her eyes.

That, right there, was what Sero had fallen for the past few months. He bit the inside of his lip and looked back at the screen from the couch they sat on, Jirou had her legs up, crisscrossed on the cushions.

He didn't know when it started, probably the very beginning of their 2nd year, it wasn't a major thing, just a soft admiration. Lately though, he began to notice something.

"Hey, Hagakure and I wanna join in, are there spare controllers?" Kaminari hopped over the back of the couch and plopped beside Jirou, Hagakure entered the room with him.

"Yeah, totally, help me beat Sero's ass," Jirou said as she handed the blond boy a controller.

"With me here he's totally going down," Kaminari exclaimed as they shared a high five.

Kaminari's entire demeanor seemed to change around her, and strangely enough, so did hers around him.

But instead of feeling jealousy, Sero let Jirou go, because there was something about her and Kaminari that seemed better off then he would've been with her.

Besides, someone else already had their eyes on Sero.

"Hanta!" Ashido gripped onto her boyfriend's arm.

"What?"

"We're doing a couple's challenge against Tetsu and Kendo! We gotta win it!" Ashido begged and pulled on his arm while hopping excitedly.

"Okay, okay," he gave a genuine laugh as they gripped onto one another's hands. "Hey, let's see who's superior, huh?!" Sero yelled from across the room as their 3A classmates cheered them on.

Author's Note: Enjoy the next chapter! I think you'll like it ;)