Chapter Forty: Hopeless

Her legs felt sore for some reason, so she tried moving them to sit upright, but she realized she couldn't.

Jirou blinked a few times, lifting her head from the rough wall she was leaned against. There was little light in the room, a single, dangling, metal lamp was connected to an extension cord running out a door farther away. Jirou shifted her feet, scratching her legs along the concrete, when she pulled herself upward to stand she was caught by something tight around her arms and waist. Her arms were bound with zip ties and crossed along her back, her waist was securely wrapped with rope around a thick, rusted pole behind her.

She didn't know what had happened, she remembered being yanked forcefully to the side before her screams were suppressed under something that was flung across her face. Everything was fuzzy after that. She shifted her hands but stopped when her wrists hurt from rubbing tightly against the zip ties.

"You're awake," someone exhaled wistfully.

She turned her head to the right to find Kaminari in the same situation, except he was tied with what looked like a rubber hose, an inch wide in thickness.

"Can you move?" She whispered quietly.

"I think they used zip ties on my hands," he grit his teeth, aggressively trying to free his arms, although it did nothing.

"Did you see who took us here?" Jirou asked in a hushed tone.

"Some pink monster thing," Kaminari bent his neck sideways, trying to bite the tubing around his chest, he gave a frustrated grunt and paused to look over at her.

Rrgh, why'd they put us so far apart?

Jirou shifted her hands to feel her back pocket, her phone was missing.

"Do you have your phone on you?" She asked.

"They took both our phones and set it on the table over there," Kaminari nodded his head at a rusty looking table.

"Fuck, maybe I can just-" Jirou pulled her body forward and extended an earphone jack, snaking it toward the table, wrapping a cord around her phone, careful not to let it fall. She brought it up to her face, using her other jack to keep it secure as she bit off her phone case.

"What are you doing?" Kaminari whispered in confusion.

She silently brought the case back to the table and set it upside down. She bit her lip and delicately brought her phone to her side, startled when she heard the rumble of footsteps draw to the room they were in. The doorknob suddenly twisted. She and Kaminari looked over at one another terrified as she swiped her phone under her left leg.

"Okay sparky, the doctor will see you now," a low, dopey sounding voice said as the door flew open. A huge figure stood at the opening, his shoulders didn't fit through the frame so he had to shift inside sideways. He seemed to pause an observe the atmosphere in the room, glancing at the two seeming phones on the table, then back at the kids on the floor.

The man thumped his way over to Kaminari, untying his ropes. When the grip loosened around his chest he wriggled himself upright, lifting a foot up to kick the monster. The salmon-colored man stumbled back as Kaminari fell onto his side. He quickly pushed himself up, flicking his eyes to Jirou when she let out a painful yelp.

"Funny quirk," the man said amused, gripping her earphone jacks in his palms, he squeezed his fist tighter.

Trying to take him out with her quirk wouldn't be easy in such a small room and with little distractions.

Jirou felt like he was purposely trying to crush her brain through her jacks, she winced in agony when the creature slowly turned his head to meet Kaminari.