Chapter Twenty-Nine: Mystery

Kaminari walked to school alone.

Sero stared out the glass, watching him fade beyond the dormitory bushes. His attention shifted when his girlfriend tapped him.

"Hey, Kami left without us," Ashido pulled his arm to look out the window.

He hadn't told Ashido about what had happened yesterday night. Guilt relentlessly gnawed on his chest and brain. He didn't know whether Kaminari actually felt that way, or if it was just a result of the circumstances; either way, he still felt guilty. Like he was a part of the problem.

"I tried talking to him yesterday," Sero grabbed his bag from the back of one of the dinning room chairs. "Didn't go very well," he added, slipping the bag around a shoulder.

"Oh," Ashido responded sadly. "I think everything that's happened is getting to everyone," she took a hand in his when they began their walk to the school.

"I don't think he's in the talking mood though," Sero gently swung his arm back and forth with Ashido, looking down at her he noticed she was purposely avoiding the cracks. He grinned softly.

"It'll all be alright," Ashido spoke, Sero didn't trust the doubt sprinkled in her tone. "She'll get her memories back," Ashido added. But saying that was only a reassuring lie, like if she kept telling herself, it'd eventually become truth.

The rest of the day went by quickly. The seat in front of Sero's still remained empty. Kaminari never spoke to him. People questioned it, but never came to ask either of them. Even Bakugo seemed to notice the different atmosphere in the classroom caused by distance in their two class goofballs.

Nothing was the same.

Yaoyorozu had been taking her time every night to learn about quirk psychology and physiology, wondering how in the world a quirk could last more than the allotted time. She was sitting at a table, nibbling on the end of a pen, flipping through several library books. It was after school hours now, and she was determined to find a solution, but after 6 continuous days of searching she didn't seem to find anything.

There were unique cases of certain users who could use their quirk for an extended amount of time, but they were usually physical manifestations, meaning their quirk was a part of their person, like Hagakure. Other studies seemed to only indicate that a user's limit was determined by their comfort and skill. Yaoyorozu knew nothing of Serpentine or his quirk. It seemed to her that his quirk was a mutation type, which didn't make much sense to her. No snake she knew of could hypnotize and wipe memories, so indeed he had the abilities and appearance of a cobra, but something as complex as memory wiping seemed too unnatural for him to have been born with it.

"Hello Yaoyorozu," Yaoyorozu looked up when someone greeted her.

"Oh, hello Awase," she watched as he came to sit down across from her. Although he had asked her to the Autumn Dance as his date, he hadn't asked her out to be his girlfriend, therefore, it was a lot like Jirou and Kaminari's dance; a dance where they went as friends. Unknown to Yaoyorozu, he had been hiding a secret crush for 3 years as well.

"What are you reading about?" He asked as he set his things down. She had agreed to tutor him with his mathematics homework today. Every time she responded to his texts with a 'Sure! I'll meet you at the library!' his heart made little flips within his chest.

"Physiology on Quirks," she responded, quickly glazing over the page to finish it.

He gave a soft grin, observing her eyes scan the page with precise determination. She tucked the loose strand of hair she kept to cover her right eye back behind her ear, looking up to tear a piece of paper from a notebook as a bookmark.

"Quirk studies? I thought the teachers had moved from that unit to sociology studies?" He asked as she closed the book and took out a math textbook.

"It's not for me," she explained, flipping open to a certain page, Awase did the same in his book. Awase did occasionally spend time with Yaoyorozu, but he wasn't as close to her as someone like Jirou, or anyone from Class 3-A in general.

Plus, he already heard a LOT about what Monoma had to say about 3-A, he didn't want to make things more obvious by blatantly asking her to dinner somewhere.

"Oh, who for?" He inquired as she dug through her pencil pouch, searching for a calculator.

"A friend of mine," she replied simply, starting her tutoring lessons as she listed off problems from the book.

She couldn't stop thinking about Jirou the entire time though.

Something didn't seem right to her according to what she'd read. The quirk would eventually wear off on Jirou, but even if it did, would the effects cause her permanent memory loss considering how long the quirk had lasted? Would Jirou ever be normal again? And if she did return back to normal, who's to say that there aren't other villains like Serpentine?

Author's Note: This is a pretty short chapter, my bad.