Chapter Twenty-One: The Arcade

Author's Note: VERY short chapter, but I'll be posting 4 today to make up for it. It's to prepare you for all the heartache so enjoy the happiness while it lasts :3

It was now Monday and they were currently in school. Sensei Aizawa had listed off the events of the day and for the rest of the week, finishing to let the students talk for the remaining time.

Kaminari had convinced himself he'd ask her after the arcade. He needed to know, he needed her to know, but most importantly, he needed to stop being a fucking coward.

The bell rang, snapping him out of his thoughts as everyone gathered their things and left their seats. Jirou was stacking her notebooks on top of one another, still talking to Shouji as she reached for her pencil case. Pens and pencils tumbled onto the floor when she noticed she hadn't zipped it, making her give off a disgruntled sigh. The room fell quiet as the talkative students fled into the hall for their next classes, leaving the two alone to pick up her things.

"Hey, Jirou?" Kaminari spoke timidly, handing her a clump of colorful pens he held in his hand.

"Hey, Jirou?"

"Huh?"

"You're Jirou, right?"

A girl across from his seat turned her head. She was thin and small, wore short, purple hair, and had two weird little cord thingies dangling from her ears.

It was the first day of high school.

"Yes," she replied, looking over at him with eyes that matched her hair.

"Do you mind me asking what those things are?"

"You mean my quirk?" She looked somewhat offended, but exlained herself anyway. "They're earphone jacks."

"Ohhh," the boy next to her slowly nodded.

"You still don't know what those are, do you?"

"No not at all."

Jirou gave a light scoff and curled a cord around her right pointer finger.

"I can hear stuff really well I guess. Does that make sense?"

"Oh! You'd be such a good spy," the boy said brightly. "I'm Kaminari," he smiled.

"Hello...Kaminari," Jirou echoed slowly, still very unsure about the new student next to her. "What about you?"

"I got a pretty shocking quirk," Kaminari said with his fingers splayed.

Jirou raised an eyebrow with a sketpical look. She didn't know who he was exactly yet, but he automatically seemed like the class clown type.

"Were you the one zapping all the robots?"

"Yeah, that's me," he said with confidence.

"Cool," she replied with the smallest hint of intrigue. She found him interesting though, despite their first encounter being, well, not the best.

"Yeah?" She zipped up her things, lugging her books in one arm and her water bottle in the opposite hand as they made it to the door.

She was extremely good at covering up the fact she was upset the day prior. But in all honestly, she loved it when he spoke to her. She loved it when she spoke to him. She loved being with him in general. The only thing holding her back—her worries of unrequited love and rejection.

"Do you. . .would you- want to go somewhere after school?" He slung his bag strap around his right shoulder, rubbing his thumb along the fabric nervously.

"With who?" She asked as they walked side by side in the hallway.

"Uh- just us?" He answered meekly.

"Really?" She looked over at him confused. "If it's that stupid meatball place-"

"No, no it's not that," Kaminari quickly responded. "And it is not stupid," Kaminari added.

"Wow, that changes my mind a lot, coming from you," Jirou replied sarcastically.

"Well, I know you've been curious about the new stuff they've added in the arcade at the mall," Kaminari said, keeping his eyes off of hers. "Sero and Ashido are gonna be busy, Kirishima would join, but eh. . ." his voice trailed as he began to abandon this whole idea.

"Totally, I'm down," she replied as a grin swept her face. "Oh, do you remember the time you played that one game but the wheel got stuck?" Light laughter escaped her mouth. A soft smile grew along his face as well. She was adorable.

"Yeah, it was a waste of my last tokens," Kaminari spat with a grudge. "I could've gotten that giant stuffed orange if it worked."

"That wheel is basically a gamble to win," Jirou rolled her eyes with a small head shake. "But hey, after Hero Lessons I'll meet you by the south fountains," she made a gesture with her head toward a set of water fountains down the hall, giving a small wave as she disappeared into the girl's restrooms.

So this was the day.

He'd talk to her during their time at the arcade.

Hopefully it'd go well.

Hopefully she'd say yes.

And if not.

He hoped they stayed friends.