Chapter Ten: Two Clueless Kids

It was the evening hours of the same day, dinner had already been eaten and several of the students were starting a fire in the firepit built into the patio. Others were around the garden or sitting in the grass, making flower chains and headbands on blankets brought out from inside.

The other half of the class was indoors, avoiding the outdoors either because of the insects or their dislike of the dark. As Kirishima and Bakugo tried fixing the fire, Ashido and Yaoyorozu were crafting flower crowns. Tokoyami was sitting alone on the garden swing, enjoying the brilliance of the darkness around him. Koda was along the shoreline, greeting fish, and other nighttime creatures.

Kaminari got bored waiting for the fire, and instead of helping them like he should've been doing, went to find a blanket and lay it on the grass, watching as fireflies fluttered above his head. He cupped one gently in his hands, opening his palm to see it glow dimly before rising into the air with its friends. He sighed, falling backward on the blanket to stare at the sky.

"They have the marshmallows out and you're not even grabbing one? That's odd of you," Jirou's face suddenly appeared over his view of the sky, but to be honest, he didn't notice a change. Both were equally beautiful.

"They have marshmallows?" Kaminari sat up and turned around, finding Midoriya and Todoroki now outside. Aoyama's silhouette stood at the door just behind Midoriya, seeming to stare into the yard where he and Jirou were. Kaminari couldn't tell where he was looking precisely though. After failing to light the fire, Todoroki came to the rescue, gently keeping the flame alive with his quirk.

"WE DON'T NEED YOUR FUCKING HELP ICYHOT," Bakugo argued from behind them, Kirishima tried to calm the temperamental blond.

"Don't worry, I got you some," Jirou held up a separate stick with three marshmallows already roasted and handed it to him.

"Awe yea!" He took it and flopped to lie back down on the blanket, Jirou sitting next to him with her legs crossed on the blanket, holding her own stick of marshmallows.

"What do you think the rest of third year is gonna look like?" Jirou looked over at him, although the dimming light made it difficult to tell what expression he was making.

"I don't know," he replied with a marshmallow already gone from his stick. "Probably intense, Sensei Aizawa mentioned we'd move from training to more live jobs, right?"

"Man, graduation seems so close, doesn't it?" She leaned an arm on the ground, her silhouette looking up at the mauve-painted sky.

It could've been really easy to miss, but on this particular evening, the moon came to say hello during the sun's lovely dusk hours.

"I'm gonna miss everyone when we graduate," Kaminari said wistfully, but Jirou heard the small trace of sadness laced in his words.

"Hey, we'll all be Pro Heroes, we'll probably see one another anyway because of our line of work," Jirou reassured him softly. "I feel kind of. . .excited to graduate."

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah, my middle school self probably would've never thought she'd be in the Hero Course," she lightly chuckled to herself.

"What'd you want to be before that then?"

"A musician or someone in a band, kinda stupid though," she replied.

"I don't think that's stupid," Kaminari stick was now emptied as he pretended to connect stars in the sky like it was a magic wand.

"Well of course you don't," Jirou scoffed. He heard her shift beside him as she laid flat on the blanket, staring at the shifting dusk sky with him. "To be honest, I don't regret choosing this course though," she rested her hands on her stomach with her legs crossed over one another. "I don't think I could've had any better classmates," she added.