Chapter Twenty-Two: Serpentine

"You have new team assignments," Sensei Aizawa stated.

It was the afternoon now, and the students of Class 3A were given new districts with new teams respectively. In the East side of Musutafu, the teams were now rearranged. Bakugo and Kaminari in Green Bay, Hagakure and Jirou in Hureon, and the remaining trio at a district named Sycamore.

"Hai Sensei," the students nodded as they separated to their designated districts. None of the districts they were assigned were farther than 4 miles, so everyone would be relatively close to one another. The only trio from their team headed right toward Sycamore, where a community of houses were huddled along one another. Downtown was Green Bay, where fisheries, factories, storage buildings and warehouses filled the area. The Hureon district was a closely knit corner of the city, where small businesses hugged other shops and people swarmed the streets. Hureon was to the left of Green Bay, and were closer together than the Sycamore district was, which meant if there were any problems, it'd take Sato, Aoyama and Uraraka longer to arrive.

"This is exciting," Hagakure clapped happily as she and Jirou walked down a sidewalk, parting from Bakugo and Kaminari.

"I feel like an actual hero," Jirou admitted. "It feels awesome," she smiled as two little kids with their father waved at them.

"Look look! They both have cool new gloves!" One of the kids pointed with a captivated gaze, running up to Jirou and Hagakure with outstretched hands.

"I know, super stylish!" Hagakure held out her palm as Jirou did the same.

"Woah," the little girl blinked bewildered as her younger sister came up next to her.

The public had grown fond seeing the students of Yuuei walk along the streets of Musutafu, and many kids of the generation before them had already begun to fall in love with them.

"No honey, the nice heroes are working right now," their father spoke behind the girls as they came back to their dad, all three of them waving goodbye as the students continued down the street.

"I'm kind of glad we didn't get Green Bay," Hagakure spoke after a brief period of silence. The two of them periodically took silent breaks to observe the streets around them for any suspicious activity, breaking into conversation after routine checks.

"Why's that?" Jirou asked.

"Because it's usually muggy down there with all the fisheries and warehouses," Hagakure replied.

Jirou heard a high pitched beeping noise coming from her pocket, slowing her steps.

"Bad news for you then," Jirou's voice washed over with a solemn tone as they both paused on the sidewalk.

"Oh no," Hagakure said with worry, knowing very well what that probably meant. 'Green Bay' was illuminated in green letters of the beeping fob device.

"Something's wrong, let's go," Jirou stuck the small rectangular box back in her pocket as the two ran back through the streets.

Green Bay

"We can handle them alone Dunce Face," Bakugo spat quietly between grit teeth.

"You heard Sensei Midnight, teamwork is key," Kaminari trailed behind Bakugo.

"Why did he have to give you the location fob," Bakugo complained harshly, trying to keep his voice low despite his clear annoyance. He stuck an arm out, stopping Kaminari from moving forward as he peered his head around a corner.

"You didn't learn a lot second year, did you?" Kaminari held an irritated expression as Bakugo smacked his hands over Kaminari's mouth.

"There, by the warehouse," Bakugo's voice fell to a whisper as he let go of Kaminari's mouth. They both ducked their heads, observing a figure shuffling by a warehouse door. It looked. . .weird though, kind of like a huge worm with a human torso moving around.

The light was dim from the shadow of a building next to the warehouse, but from what Kaminari could see, this guy looked much like a serpent. He was tall and slender with a head similar to a cobra's hood flap, coated in deep turquoise scales dotted with gold. He had a torso of a man but everything past the hips were that of a snake, coiled behind him in a mass of blue scales. Around his neck looked like a tiny pouch, that of which he didn't know the contents of.

The stranger stopped at the center of the door, pausing to look around as Bakugo and Kaminari lowered their heads. If he were a worker, he would've most definitely worn a corresponding shirt or had keys to open the warehouse door. Instead, he made a distraught hissing noise, taking the end of his pointed tail to pick the lock.

"What type of a warehouse is this?" Kaminari whispered.

"No idea, this snake isn't a worker here either," Bakugo replied solemnly, his fingers just itching to charge and fight.

With a clang the lock fell onto the ground as he picked the lock, slipping inside through the doors.

"Let's get that fucker," Bakugo punched his fists together, immediately diving forward.

"Dude! Hold on!" Kaminari tramped after him, but by then Bakugo had already forcefully shoved the warehouse doors apart. The warehouse seemed relatively sparse besides crates stacked on top of one another near the back. Stacks of bags that looked like dog food were piled on symmetrically lined wood palettes. The serpent-like stranger was trying to pry open a crate with a crowbar and the weight of his tail—which was more than twice the length of his whole body.

Kaminari wondered if his quirk was snake related. He'd seen people with mutation quirks—like Tokoyami with a bird's head or Koda with a permanently spiked, rock formation skull, but this creature gave a different vibe.

"Hey fucker, why not try looking around better before breaking into a warehouse that's not yours," Bakugo grinned devilishly as he brought his fists together.

The snake whipped his head over, hissing with bared fangs. Those were super menacing fangs.

"Why don't you take a ssssstep back kid," the stranger even spoke with how you'd think a guy with a snake quirk talked.

"You see, I think that's first your mistake," Kaminari said in a cocky way.

"What missstake?" The reptile snapped his jaws, still holding the crowbar firmly wrapped in his tail as it was wedged between the crate.

"You just told my friend here what to do," Kaminari replied with a coy smile. "And he hates being told what to do," he added as Bakugo blasted himself into the air.

"Damn right!" Bakugo yelled barbarically as the stranger hissed, yanking his tail down as the crowbar snapped the crate open. Boxes of other snakes were piled in neat stacks upon one another.

So it made sense now, this was a pet store warehouse, and—reading the sticker labeled on the side of the crate—it had been moved here this morning being scheduled to be delivered to pet stores in the city this afternoon, right before their school day ended actually.

"You'll remember the name Ssserpentine," the blue snake humanoid took his massive tail and wacked the crate over as each little snake began to slither out of their containers. Kaminari reeled back as the snakes spread out along the floor. There looked to be a little less than 50 in total.

They seemed weird though. Like they all had a collective goal. Instead of going toward him or Bakugo, the serpents seemed to have their own intelligent minds, travelling back containers other snakes seemed to be trapped in and somehow unlocking them.

"What the fuck, since when did snakes learn that," Bakugo spoke aggressively, avoiding the snakes trying to coil around his legs.

When Kaminari glanced back up at the stranger, his eyes seemed to twist in interesting shapes and dizzying swirls. He glanced from snake to snake every second, and each snake he looked at seemed to automatically dart in a certain direction; like it knew what to do after he looked at them.

"You heroesss are getting annoying jussst ssssstanding there," Serpentine seemed to rise higher on his tail as he bared his fangs, the dim lighting of the warehouse illuminated his eyes to be a bright green with slit, lime pupils.

Kaminari heard a familiar voice call out behind them.