XII. Sundae

I cannot believe what I'm witnessing. Krista stands there, in a beautiful floral dress, with a random handsome guy. Where did she find him? How did a guy like him exist in our town? Did she stumble across an alien while I was occupied by Panty Dropper?

"Who's this?" I ask.

Krista rests her head against his arm. "Jessica, my dear-" I think I just died. "This is my boyfriend, Francis Weber. Francis Weber is an attractive 18 years old senior from the prestigious private school named Westview Academy. Francis Weber is the captain of the prestigious private school football team and the captain of their debate team. He's 5′11 and enjoys spending time with the less fortunate."

I felt like I was listening to a job application.

Where did Krista find him?

I wonder if she will pin me to the location.

"Hi," Francis said. "You must be Jessica Thompson. Jessica Thompson, 5′5 with an older brother named Todd Thompson. Jessica Thompson has been Krista Johnson's best friend since childhood. You enjoy sleeping in and watching romantic comedies."

Did Krista give him my profile?

Before I can talk, Krista out of this ridiculous plan. Her end goal appeared.

"Hey, Krista," Brody said. His eyes skew toward the person beside her. "You're here." He's avoiding the stranger beside her. It seems better for him not to acknowledge the stranger.

"Yes, Jessica invited me."

Brody looked at me, and I looked away. "I thought you wanted to stay inside your room tonight," he said.

"Yeah, but you're forcing me to watch the movie with your friends. So, I thought, why not invite one of my friends so I won't be lonely." I'm the best liar in the world. I deserve an award.

"I hope I'm not intruding," Krista said.

Brody shook his head, "Of course not. You're like family." Ouch. That got to hurt. Telling Krista, she's like family is transcribed into - I only see you as my younger sister.

Krista forced a smile. "Thanks, Brody. Oh-" she turns her head. "This is my boyfriend, Francis Weber. Francis, baby, this is Jessica's older brother."

They shook hands.

After the awkward - for me, at least - exchange, we head into the living room. In the living room was Todd, Megan, Victoria, Shawn, and Lorena.

After the popcorn was done and soda was filled, everyone got into a comfortable position.

Todd had his arm over Megan on one end of the couch.

Beside them was the second couple, Brody and his girlfriend, Victoria.

Then, it was Krista and Francis.

Next, it was Shawn and Lorena. Shawn is a close friend of Brody and Todd, and Lorena is his girlfriend.

The next couple is me — party of one. I held the popcorn bowl in my hands. While staring at the four couples, I realized that I am very lonely.

There was a part of me that wanted to run upstairs and desperately cry for Jax. Then, if he happens to appear, drag him downstairs and force him to watch the movie with me. I'll deal with the aftermath later.

I just don't want to feel so lonely.

Even a car only needs four wheels.

"Why are you standing there?" Brody asks.

I fought back the tears and sat down on the single chair. Yes, single. Because I'm single. Single like a pringle.

The movie starts, and I was utterly disinterested.