XXXVI. Boys will be Boys

"Yes!"

"And how will our parents know of this marvelous plan? Who is willing to break the news?"

I inhale a sharp breath, "I will call them right after this." I took out my phone.

Brody chuckles, "Fine. Do it. I don't care who kicks her out as long as I don't have to do it."

I can't believe he is giving my plan a chance. I was just winging it. I swallowed fiercely and stared at the pie. If it lands on me, Victoria may kill me. If it falls on mom, she may kill me. If it lands on dad, he may keep me away from any marriageable partners for the rest of my life.

Now that I think about it, I hope it lands on dad.

Being single for the rest of my life sounds better than being murdered.

"Here. Allow me." Brody flicks the board, and my eyes widen. It felt like my whole life was depending on a poorly drawn pie chart.

Steadily, the paper pin came to a stop.

Mom.

I don't live long enough to sin too bad that I would be kicked into hell.

"I'll break the bad news to her," I said.

Brody stared at me, "Why are you standing there?" he asked. "Call her." I was expecting him to leave the room.

I was thinking when he leaves, I can escape into the second floor and climb my way out of the house. I mean, I could always sneak out the front door, but I don't think well under pressure. I swallow, "O-Of course." I grabbed the phone and dialed my mom's number. I can't pretend to call someone else because the dolphin is hovering over my shoulder.

The phone clicks, "Why are you calling me?" mom asks. The surprised tone isn't unexpected. Only a crazy or extremely lazy person would call their family members when they're on the other side of the house.

"M-Mom? Are you alone?"

After a few seconds, mom said: "I am now. Where are you two?"

"M-Mom. You know how Brody and Victoria broke up, right?"

"Yes. And thank you for breaking the news to me. I was not surprised at all during dinner." I can sense sarcasm masking the anger.

"You're welcome." I am going to get grounded later. "So, Brody and I-" I continued talking before she could yell at me. "we decided-" Brody caught my eyes," decided that we should do a pie chart and whoever the paper pin lands on breaks the news."

"Break what news?"

"Break the news that Victoria should leave."

"Who got chosen?" I'm surprised that she hadn't ended the ridiculous phone call.

"You."

The door burst open, "No."

I grabbed the pie chart and held it up, "But, you got pic-"

She smacks the paper from my hand, "I am not telling that girl to leave. I have a book club with her mother! Our friends are mutual!" She glared at Brody. "I told you not to date any of my friends' daughters. You're like your father." She poked Brody's head. "You never listen!"