XXI. Too Hot to be Jealous

"What?"

"I mean-" I looked around and grabbed her hand. I don't want to discuss this with her in public. I dragged her towards a quiet location. "I mean, dating someone to make my older brother who has a girlfriend jealous? Really?"

She snatched her arm away. "You're the one who suggested that idea!"

"Yes, but I didn't think you would go through with it! It was supposed to be a joke."

"You didn't sound like you were joking!"

I groan slightly, then push my hand down my hair. No one gets it when I'm joking. People say I have quite a dull voice, and they can rarely tell I'm happy or sarcastic. I just didn't expect anyone to believe that is a good idea.

Krista pouts and squats on the ground. She covers her head with her arms as if activating some sort of protection.

I settled down beside her and shooed away anyone who passed us.

"I know it's a stupid idea," she grumbles into her lap. "But I couldn't come back with a better idea." She looks at me, "I really like your brother."

I pet her head, "I know." I'm surprised she didn't get mad at me. Generally, girls will blow up when someone tells them the truth. I've witnessed it a few times before. Somehow, the truth destroyed a friendship. I didn't want that to happen between us.

"Krista, since we're honest right now." She looks at me. I should do it. I should tell her how I feel. "I don't feel comfortable about your overly expressive behavior towards my brother," I said it so fast I thought I was going to pass out.

Krista stared at me, "I thought you're okay with it?"

I don't blame her for thinking that way. "I'm not."

"Then, why did you never tell me?"

"Because you're-" I look at the small garden in between the buildings. I hope no one catches us here. "Because you're one of my few friends, and I don't want to lose you." I tuck my hair behind my ear. "Krista, you may not see it, but you're pretty well-liked. If you want, you could join any group you like, but I'm not the same."

I've never been the expressive type of like my older brother, approachable. People often wonder if I have any feelings. I do.

"Do you think I'm friends with you to get close to your brother?" Krista asks.

I couldn't respond to her question because that's it. Sometimes, I do feel like Krista stayed friends with me because I'm Brody's sister. She got the leverage other girls don't have.

Krista waddles until she's in front of me. She places her hands in the air until they are on both sides of my cheeks. Then, out of nowhere, she slapped my cheeks. It wasn't painful, but it did sting.

"What the fuck," she said. "Why would you even think that? If you and Brody were drowning in the ocean. I would save you first."

"Of course you would. Brody swims like a dolphin," I grumbled.

Then, she karate chops my head, "Even if he isn't a dolphin reincarnation, I would've saved you." She held my cheeks, "Because you're my friend. My best friend. Sister before mister."

I grinned foolishly at her words, and the heavyweight on my chest lifted.

Krista exhaled, "I can't change my feelings for Brody, but I will try my best to hide it. And-" she bit her lower lip, "I'm going to try to move forward." She gave me a sad smile, "Because it's stupid to go for a guy who has a girlfriend, isn't it? I must have looked so pathetic all these years."