XX. Equality

I squeal in delight. I cannot believe he got me the heels I wanted. This is wholly unlike him. Once I opened the lids, the squealing came to a halt. "Shoes?" I stared at the content inside the box.

"Well, I'm still against it, but I felt bad, so I got you new shoes."

I tucked my lips over my teeth and covered the shoes with the lid.

"Dad."

"Yes, my little sunshine?"

"I needed heels."

"Why? Why get heels when you have a perfect pair of good sneakers?" He grabbed the box and opened the lids. "Look at these! They're spotless! Made to protect your whole foot, and it's twice the price of those darn heels."

I exhale harshly through my nostrils, "Return these and get me the heels that save you money."

"No."

I stood up and folded my arms, "Why not?"

"Jessica Thompson! You don't need those heels!"

"Yes, I do!"

"It's autumn! Why do you even need heels that hurt your feet and not fully cover them? How ridiculous!"

Why does he talk as if we're living in the old era? "I need them for dances!"

He stood up, "You don't go to dances!"

"Maybe I will this time!"

Dad scoffed, "Please." Why do my parents keep giving me these reactions?

"Oh? No need to beg, dear father. I will go to this upcoming dance!" I head towards the door. "And I'll go with a date!"

"You don't dare!"

"I will!" I slammed the door shut. "How could-" I growled slowly and opened the door. "Leave. This is my bedroom."

Dad held the bag and laughed, "Your bedroom? Who is the one who paid for this whole house."

I puffed my cheeks, "You're right." I turn my head away. "Mom! Dad wouldn't leave your part of the house!"

"Oh, gosh!" Mom screams from downstairs. "I could hear your bickering from the front door. Sweetheart, leave Jess's bedroom."

"She's saying she is going to go to the school dance, and even worse, go with a date!"

I can hear footsteps from the stairway, "Really?" Mom squeals. She held my hands. "Are you really?"

"What?" Dad shouts. "No. No. No! There will be no dating. Not under my watch."

I gave dad a side glance and smirked, "Then, you must not have been watching carefully enough."

"You-"

"I dated boys!"

"You!"

"And even kissed boys! Ha!"

"Now. Now. Children." Mom got in between us. "What happened?"

"She's unappreciative. That's what happened," dad responds.

"Why are you treating me differently from Brody?" I ask.

"W-What?"

I sniffed, "When we were at the mall, you got him the stuff he wanted. But, you won't even let me buy makeup and a pair of heels."

"W-Well, that's different."

"How is it different?"

"He wanted clothes and durable shoes."