XXVI. From Grinch to Chipmunk

"I don't know," I responded. I noticed how Krista was staring at the place everyone left. I turned my head, and Francis was looking at Krista. He definitely notices. Our eyes met, and I looked away.

"Hey!" Shannon screams, with Ivan behind her. She expels a sharp breath. "What's wrong? Did we miss something?"

Krista, Francis, and I exchange looks. "Nothing," we all concluded that it's better not to talk about Victoria's breakdown. Either she had a breakdown, or she's an outstanding actress.

While strolling through the festival, I let my eyes roam around. It's the same as every year with its countless booth of local food, games, and souvenirs. Screams are scattering in the air from teenagers and children on the rides-guardians standing on the sidelines with cameras in their hands and strollers beside them.

In the distance, I caught my parents chattering away. Dad was at the benches having a beer with the guys, and retired pageant contestants surrounded mom.

I let my eyes rest on the autumn tree, feeling the excitement of the festival, and taking in the sweet aroma. But, the longer I stood there, the more distant all the happiness seemed to be. Emotions. Sometimes, it's difficult for me to feel emotions.

Krista grasps my wrist, "Let's go for a few rides before we hit the booths," she said with a broad smile.

First, we went on the rides made for groups. Then, we went on the rides made for singles. Everyone is purposely avoiding the rides made for couples. There are five of us.

I released a deep breath, "Let's go on that one," I said. It was a ride made for two people. There was hesitation lingering in the air, but I saw how much Krista was looking at it earlier. It's her favorite ride.

"You two go together," Francis said. "I'll sit in the back." Same as always, Francis Weber chooses to be the knight in shining armor. Of course, he does, he wants to look good in front of the girl he likes.

Krista grasps my arm and nods eagerly.

After all the chaotic rides for a duo, it was time to face the couple rides.

Shannon had been looking at a couple's ride then towards Ivan for quite a while. It was so apparent that even Krista and Francis noticed it.

"You four should go on that one," I said. I know I'm not supposed to intervene, but I can't eat peacefully while watching Shannon fidgeting around.

"Go on that one?" Shannon laughs, "The only couple around here are Krista and Francis."

So, she wants to play hardball, eh. "Why don't you two go?" I was referring to Shannon and Ivan.

"What about you?" Krista asks me. She's been worrying that I would get left out. The whole time Krista and Francis had been clinging onto me to make sure I'm comfortable. The more Krista clings on, the more aware Francis understood my level of importance, and the more he made sure I didn't dislike him.

"I'll sit here and finish my food."

"We'll stay here with you," Ivan said. He cannot read the atmosphere I set up for everyone.

"No. I'm just feeling kind of tired from-" I look at Krista. She would understand what I'm trying to say.

"Alright, but we'll be back," Krista replies. She drags everyone towards the ride.

Sometimes, I would feel tired from socializing, and Krista understood that. At the time, it wasn't a lie. I am exhausted from the constant rides and words around me. I scoot the food away and rest my head.

"I want to go home and sleep," I grumbled.

"So, why don't you?" I lift my head to see Jax. I didn't respond to his question, instead blinked a few times. I look around to make sure none of our classmates are around. "What? Embarrass to be seen with me in public?"