XXXIV. My Dolphin

I didn't know how to respond, so I simply stared at Krista. Amid the silence, my stomach grumbles. We've been gossiping for far too long. "Oh," I responded. I hate this part of me. This part that's satisfied.

It's sickening.

Krista exhaled, "So you really didn't hear."

Then, a lightbulb went off. "Do you know-"

"Brody and Victoria broke up?" Krista tilted back and forth. "I know."

I dig the tip of my shoe into the dirt. "What are you going to do now?"

Krista chuckles, "You make it sound like I'm part of their relationship. There's nothing for me to do. Francis is my boyfriend."

"I know, but-"

"I'm not going to leave Francis hanging all because Brody is available." Krista tucked her hair back and licked her pink lips. "Francis treats me really well," she said. "I still like Brody, but I'm not stupid enough to let go of a good relationship."

I smile, "That sounds nice."

Krista links arms with me, "It is nice." She rests her head against my shoulder, "Let's go eat. Your stomach had been screaming at me for the last five minutes."

The cafeteria was full. All tables were occupied, scattered with food. The chattering and excited laughter filled the building.

Krista and I found Shannon and Ivan in the middle of the cafeteria. They were sitting with some strangers. Sometimes, that's how things work for small groups. You sit together and pretend you're one large group when, in reality, you're two to three small groups. It's not a big deal.

Shannon waved her hands, signaling us to come over. My eyes pinned straight into Shannon, and Ivan linked hands. Krista and I exchange looks. "Come on. Let's go tease them." Krista drags me towards the half-filled table.

Our legs took a halt when Victoria stepped in front of us. Even behind the circular lens and makeup, I can see her blotch eyes. Behind Victoria stood her cheerleader minions. Steadily, the noises inside the cafeteria disperse.

This is it.

I'm going to get dragged into a catfight.

Victoria bit her lower lip, "Your brother broke up with me," she announced to me and the whole cafeteria. I wonder if she knows Brody is sitting on the other side. I can feel his intense stare towards us.

"I heard," I said. I wonder if I should apologize. No. Why should I apologize? She was the one who allowed her emotions to get the better of her and poured it on the wrong person, even if that person accidentally said the wrong thing at the wrong time.

"Times like this people would say: I'm sorry to hear that," Victoria replies.

I should take a step back, "I'm sorry to hear that."

Victoria curled her fingers into fists, "It doesn't mean anything if you don't mean it!"

I avoided her intense glare. I can't do it. I can't handle this situation. What am I supposed to do? Walk away? Go on my knees and beg for forgiveness? Have a crying contest with her?