XXXVII. Confrontation

After the case of Victoria Burke, I dodge her as if we're playing dodgeball in gym class. It's not a surprise to say she officially hates my very existence.

I'm not saying that because she aimed for me during dodgeball as if I'm America's worst enemy or served only towards me during volleyball.

"Jessica Thompson!" The PE teacher shouted. "This is volleyball, not dodgeball! Why do you keep dodging?"

Because I'm trying to keep my head intact. Victoria and her little cheerleader crew continuously hit the ball in my direction. In the past, she would've gone easy on me since I'm Brody's sister. Now, she's trying to kill me because I'm Brody's sister. Freaking Brody.

"Coach!" Shannon screamed. Shannon and I have gym class together. "Why are you screaming at Jess? The other team clearly has it out for her! What are you doing?" I want to give Shannon a thumb up.

"Are you screaming at your teacher?!" I would've screamed at the coach too if I weren't so tired.

"You're standing on the other side of the gym, so how else can you hear me if I don't scream!" Shannon is on another team across the gym.

"Shannon Lakis! Are you asking for detention?"

"For what? Nowhere in the rules say I can't scream so my teacher can hear me!"

The coach's face turns red. "Lakis! Detention!"

"Alright! But, remember, everyone here knows Victoria is your niece, and you're clearly playing favoritism! How would the principal like it when she hears the coach had been picking on other students because of Victoria?"

"You-"

"And guess what? I hate to brag, but my ma is a part of the school district!" The gym coach is new, so he doesn't know that Shannon's mom is a member of the school district.

Even while Victoria is aiming for me, she can't do much except a little shove here and there. It's because of Shannon's mom, and again, it's because I'm Brody's sister. No matter how much of an eyesore I am, he won't stand by if Victoria pushes too far. Plus, Mrs.Lakis likes me. She said I'm a good influence on her daughter. It seems that staying at home and doing nothing automatically makes you a good student.

The coach's face turned from red to white.

Shannon smirks, "I'll see you during detention after school coach." That sounds more like a threat than a statement.

She looks at me and wink. I exhale lightly and smile, mouthing: "Thank you."

After the verbal argument between the coach and Shannon, Victoria and her followers went easy on me. She understands that her uncle's job is on the line so that she won't bully me as much during gym class. At least I can breathe a little now.

After changing out of my gym clothes, the coach called for me. I didn't bother remembering his name because it's too much work to know all seven teachers' names when we're going to change again next semester.

I stood inside his small office. There's a drift of sweat and unused materials. My eyes scattered around the room to see old reminisce of what used to be. The coach seems to be quite popular among his peers.

I heard he used to be an outstanding football player until he broke his ankle right before the recruitment season. His cousin grabbed the scholarship and is playing for the NFL right now.

How sad.

Now he's stuck in his hometown, wrapped in a dead-end job.

I don't look like it, but I really do feel pity for him. Even if he did pick on me, a small innocent girl.