XXV. Background Character

Just like dad suggested, I kept my hands out of the relationship bowls. It's tempting to grab it, but if it somehow slips out of my hands and makes a mess, it'll be all my fault.

I don't want to end up like dad. Well, not him. But, forced to choose between my best friend and brother.

He looks pretty broken-hearted when he talks about his previous best friend. I asked him if he regretted his decision of dating his best friend's sister. He only smiled in return and told me it's all in the past now. Whatever happened already happened and there's no point in pondering over the thought of what could've happened.

I didn't know dad was such a deep man.

The night passed by, and now we're heading towards the autumn festival with dad in the driver seat and mom beside him. I watch as their hands slowly tangle together. There was a brief smile of exchange before they talked about something ridiculous.

Maybe dad is right. Whatever already happened...happened. There's no point in thinking about it. It'll only give you a headache.

I glance to my right. Brody is also here. My parents didn't want him to stay at home by himself. Apparently, they were expecting him to beg them to go to the festival to meet Victoria.

Dad pulled to a stop and parked the car. It's crowded. I look down at my screen and message in the group chat that I'm here.

"You okay?" I asked.

Brody glanced over, "Yeah. Why wouldn't I?"

"No reason," I responded.

My phone buzzes, and I look back down. Krista says that she will meet me in the front, so I don't have to search around. When everyone got out of the car, I followed them. The autumn breeze quickly caught me, and I hid my hands inside the pocket of my jacket. It's too cold.

"Now, remember, we all came here together," mom said. "So, we're leaving together." She glared at Brody. "I will lock the house door tonight."

Dad exhales, "Give the boy a break."

Mom glared and turned towards dad. "He's grounded."

"I know, but you don't have to talk to him as if he's a prisoner."

Mom laughs, "A prisoner wouldn't eat fine steak for dinner tomorrow night." Aw man, we're not eating steak tomorrow night.

Brody and I glared at dad for opening his fat mouth.

"I understand Jessica, but why are you glaring at me?" dad asks Brody. "I'm defending you!"

"Mom is just telling me to come back before you guys left," Brody grumbled.

"Oh?" dad questions. "This is what I get for defending you, ungrateful children!" He threw two arms in the air.

"Jess!" I can hear Krista's voice.

"Go! Leave! I don't need ungrateful children around me!" dad said.

"Okay. Bye," I responded and walked away.

"W-What? You-"

"See you," Brody said.

"D-Did you see them? They just left us without care! Ungrateful! And here I was going to give you two spending money!"

We stopped walking and glanced at each other. Suddenly, our legs made a turn, and we headed back towards our parents. Brody and I hugged dad, each on one arm.

"I'm sorry," Brody said.

"Me too," I said.

"We're ungrateful," he said in a bland voice.