XIX. Who Likes a Grinch

"And then, you fell in love at first sight?"

Jax's face twisted into the ugliest form I ever witnessed. I didn't imagine such an attractive guy could look so stomach wrenching. "Did you hit your head while I was staring at the ceiling? Love at first sight? You mean, you fall in love with me, right?"

"What?"

"Love at first sight is merely a physical attraction. Look at me."

I rub my chin, "I mean, I guess I did fall for you good looks...for like two seconds."

"So, what happened?"

"You open your mouth."

Then, it arrives, his burst of laughter. Too bad, he didn't have the chance to laugh. I dashed across the room and covered his mouth.

"You better not laugh," I warned him. Underneath my palm, I can feel his lips curving upward. My eyes widened when I felt a warm hand rest on my lower back.

Then, I heard it. The sound of a beating heart. I hope it's not mine. There are only two people in this room, and I doubt I can hear his heart with the distance between my ears and his chest. I also don't want it to be mine.

Up close, I noticed how long Jax's lashes are. It's perfectly curved upward. I'm jealous.

I know I shouldn't be so close to a guy. It's dangerous. I swallow when his hot breath scatters through the gaps of my fingers. I should have moved, but I couldn't. My body froze, unable to accurately grasp the demands delivered from my mind.

I took a few blinks when Jax held my wrist and removed it from his mouth. The smile didn't present itself. It would've been so much easier to be mad or upset if I saw his grimy grin. That reaction would show that he's only teasing me. Instead of seeing the mockery, I saw the serious looks in his eyes. One I haven't witnessed from the young boys around me.

One that only a man should be expressing.

"Mind getting off?" He asks.

Like a robot, I listened to his command.

After I removed myself, Jax stood up, and without another word, he headed towards the window.

"Where are you going?" I question. Then, the realization arrives. It was a mistake on my part to ask him where he was going. I shouldn't. Whatever he does is his choice. But, the words escaped my mouth before I had the chance to stop it.

Jax's body halts momentarily. While I was up close and in his personal space, I finally noticed his height. He's a tall person, but not as tall as I thought. Maybe, my fear of him made him bigger than he seems. He's not as tall as Brody or Todd. His height is the perfect size because of that. His height is right just for him.

Amid the silence, there is a small chortle. Jax turned around with a smug grin. The irritation inside of me returns. He rests against the edge of the window and allows the weight to hang on his palms. "Why? Curious?" Jax tilts his head to the side, his usual teasing method.

Am I curious? A little bit. Who wouldn't be? Jax came to my bedroom, gave me a twenty to stay for the night, and after the weird incident we had earlier; he wants to pack up and leave. Who wouldn't be curious about the reason why he reacted the way he did?

"A bit," I respond.

Jax chuckles, "At times like this, you're supposed to say you don't care."

"Why should I lie? I kind of care about what's going on."

"Why do you care?" Jax bounces a question back at me.

"You should answer the question I gave first before expecting one from me."