XXII. S Word

"Jess." Brody hands me the keys. "I'll meet you in the car."

I grabbed the set of keys and made my way towards the car. I press the button, and the car doors unlocked. I look back to see Brody and Victoria in a heated battle. Everyone else was far away from them, but not too far, though. This will be tomorrow's hot topic.

Head Cheerleader and Captain of the Swim Team Heated Battle.

Okay, I'm not good at coming up with titles.

I got inside the car and turned it on. After some moments, Brody came and slammed the door shut. I held onto the seat belt for my dear life when he drove off.

"I'm sorry," I said when we arrived halfway home. "It kind of slipped out."

Brody ran his fingers up his hair and grunted slightly. "It's fine. I mean, I agree," he said. "This autumn festival shit is driving me nuts too."

"Well, it's not driving me nuts or anything," I grumbled. "So, what happened?" I'm not sure if he wants to talk about it or not, but I should at least try to ask about the situation I caused.

"Well-" he stops at a red light, "she said I should escort her to the autumn festival or-"

"Or?" I repeated.

"Or we should see other people."

I mouthed: "Wow." I puffed my cheeks, "What are you planning to do? Are you going to ask mom and dad?" I know if Brody asks, then our parents will allow him to go. Not right away, but if he bothers them enough, they will somehow bend the grounding rule. He did it before.

"No," he responds.

"No? But she-"

"Are you fucking serious?" Brody asks. "She called you a loser, and all you're worried about is how I'm not going to the autumn festival with her? Is there something wrong with you?"

I shrugged, "It's not a big deal."

"Not a big deal?" He scratches his head. "Why in the fucking world would you ever consider that as a small deal?"

"Because she's not the first person who said that and I'm sure she won't be the last. Plus, I mean, it's not like you guys will last anyways." I think I just had another oopsy. I feel like I'm just trying to pick a fight with someone today.

"You think we wouldn't last?"

My eyes waiver back and forth, attempting to find the right answer. Since I messed up already, I might as well go on full truth. "No."

"Why not?"

"Because she's shallow like a puddle of water and you're Brody. You're a nice guy. A nice dolphin. And a nice dolphin like you would end up with someone deep, like the ocean." Did that make sense?

His lips flatten, and he looks forward. His hands tightened against the wheel. "Jess. I'm not a nice guy."

"You're a nice brother. I mean, other siblings would have abandoned their hard to handle sister by now, but you didn't. You always ask me if I want to sit with your friends or make sure I get home."

Yes, I do notice all the nice things my brother does. All because he overshadows me in every aspect doesn't mean I hate him.

"You really think a nice guy would've gone for someone like Victoria?" He asks. I guess even he knows that Victoria isn't the nicest person in the world.

"Probably the sex."

Brody swerved slightly, and I grabbed the door right away. Maybe he is trying to kill us. "What?!"