XXXIX. Mess Up Pie

Jax stared at me as if I turned into a giant mythical dragon with four heads. I wish I was a mythical fire breathing dragon so I can turn him into dust. Conflicted feeling resolved.

I huffed a breath and stomped my way back towards the school.

"Hey!" Jax shouted. "Are you really going to walk away?"

"No! I'm flying away!" At least I know my humor is still intact even when I'm angry.

"Can't I have some time?"

What is he talking about? I didn't bother responding. Responding is equivalent to acknowledgment. I shouldn't encourage his insane behavior any longer. Hotel del Grinch is permanently closed. I'm sleeping with my bedroom door open, so I can scream for help whenever Jax appears. That'll keep him away.

Jax blocked my path.

The nerve of the guy.

I stepped left.

He did the same.

I stepped right.

He copied my action.

I glared at him.

He spread his arms.

I ducked underneath his arm.

He spun around and blocked me again.

"What are you doing?!" Maybe if I'm angry enough, I'll turn into the Hulk. I'll freaking smash his face. I knew I shouldn't have watched that movie with Brody.

"Give me some time."

"For what?"

"To think about this?"

"W-What?"

"This." He points at me. "You." He clenches his fists. "Us."

"What are you? A caveman? Use sentences so that I can understand." How am I supposed to know what he's saying if he only gives me bits of a sentence? I'm not a mind reader.

Jax exhales a sharp breath, "This is the first time I like a girl."

"Okay? Would you like a trophy?" I know I'm being incredibly mean to Jax, but if it keeps him away I'll be evil to the bone. I cannot see us ending well. It's one thing to be somewhat friends with each other. It's another thing to have mutual feelings with one of the town's bad boys.

Jax forced a smile, "You're still angry."

"I applaud you for your deduction skills." I slowly clapped.

"And I can tell when you're angry. You get extremely sarcastic."

"Wow." I clapped even slower.

Jax held my wrists and forced me to stop clapping. "I'm asking you to give me time to sort out my feelings. I don't want to jump into something that can end badly."

I can see things crashing and burning. Sadly, I can also see myself above the wet pillow and buried underneath the mountain of blankets. Beside me would be a bucket of ice cream or a bag of chips. It's too cold for ice cream. "Your interest in me is only temporary."

"I meant for me."

Pause.

Rewind.

Wait.

Did he say for him?

"What?" I ask.

Jax removes his hands from my wrists, "I don't want to get hurt."

Pause...again.

Rewind...twice.

Halt the whole darn conversation.