XXXVIII. Lose Interest in Me

When I saw Jax hidden behind a bush for a smoke, my blood boiled even more. I turned in the other direction.

The cigarette hangs from his lips. He grabbed my wrist, "I thought we're even? I even saved your life."

I turned my head, and my hair scattered all over my face.

Hesitantly, Jax released my arm and took out the cigarette. "Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm fine. Thank you." He caught me in a bad time-a bad mood.

"I can tell you're not in the mood to talk."

I forced out a smile, "Thank you for understanding." I turned around.

"I would let you go, but-" he grabbed my wrist again. "I am not the understanding type. Let's go play." He threw the cigarette down, stepped on it, and buried it in the dirt while dragging me along.

"What do you want with me? I need to go to class."

"Wow. You're even Grincher then usual." He stepped in front of me and smiled, "Let me make it up to you."

"Make what up?"

"For what I did at the festival." He's talking about the incident where he pretended not to know me.

"The twenty and being my lifesaver is enough. What more can I ask for?"

Jax stepped closer to me, "You can ask for as much as you want." I can feel his muscles from behind his white t-shirt. His grin only widens.

"Hey! You two!" Someone shouted.

"Run!" Jax screamed.

"Wait, wha-"

He dragged me towards the parking lot. Why is he telling me to run? I have an excused pass. He's the only one who should be running.

The longer we ran, the more excessive my wheezing became. My lungs burned, and my throat begged for water.

Jax looked at me, "You're really out of shape!"

"Come back here!" Whoever was chasing us screamed.

"Fuck," Jax muttered. Before I could have a chance to rebuttal, he flung me over his shoulder and continued running.

I want to scream at him to put me down, to leave me behind.

Once we reached the parking lot, Jax leaped onto his motorcycle.

"Help me!" I shouted towards the teacher, who was taking his sweet time getting down the stairs. I reached for him, but Jax grabbed me.

He threw me onto his lap, "Don't worry. I got you."

What?!

His hands twisted the handles, and he raced out of the parking lot. I had no choice but to shut my eyes, pray for the best, and clung onto the insane guy. I'm certain this is some form of kidnapping.

"Alright. We're here." That was quick.

I open my eyes to see a familiar neighborhood. We're two blocks away from school. He made me almost shit my pants just to take me two blocks away.

Jax looks down and smiles, "Thank goodness we acted fast, or else we would've gotten caught."

I hop off of his lap, "You would've gotten caught." I dug into my pants and shoved the pass into his face. "I would've been perfectly fine."

Jax gasps, "You would leave me behind just like that?"

If I can leave my family behind to burn in the dust. Who says I won't do it to a guy I may or may not be friends with. "Yes. And I thank you for all your sacrifices."