XVIII. Three Dollars and Forty-Five Cents

"You? Sneak a guy in here?"

"Yes," I responded.

"And he slept over?"

"Yes."

"Show him to mom then."

"Fine." I walk towards the window. "Jax, come out. My mom wants to meet you."

Silence.

"Oh, Jax. It's nice to meet you," mom said.

I glared at her, "He's here, and I'm going to have sex with him tonight."

Mom cheeks puffed. Whether or not I'm lying, she won't allow it. "No, you're not!"

"Well, you want me to be rebellious, right? Then, allow the rebellion to begin! I'll have sex with Jax and have his baby!"

"If you do that! I'm going to ground you!"

"No!"

"Yes! And you're not allowed to compete in the autumn pageant!"

"No!"

"Yes!" Mom marched towards the door. "I better not find that Jax boy in here!" She slams the door shut.

After a few seconds, she sneaks her head between the cracks. "Thanks, sweetheart, I needed that."

"No problem, mom."

She smiles, "You're not really grounded."

"I know."

"Please, don't become a teenage mother."

"I know."

"Goodnight, sweetheart." She blew me air kisses.

I returned it. "Night, mom."

After five minutes, Jax leaps back into the window. "You have a very unique relationship with your mom."

Once in a while, mom would come and bring something unnecessary up. I would fight with her somehow, and she would pretend to ground me or give me a talk. It gives her a chance to feel like she's parenting and how she's still paying enough attention to me compared to Brody.

I can tell that my parents feel like they don't give me enough attention. They attend all of Brody's competitions and awards. They would often talk or ground him for something he did.

For me, I'm all around average and never get in trouble, so they don't really know what to do with me. Once in a while, they encourage me to do new stuff.

For example, they encouraged me to take an art class or some athletic program. I end up poking my eye with the brush or broke a leg doing gymnastics. At one point, I tried swimming like Brody, but I swam like a turtle.

Eventually, I gave up attempting to excel, and my parents kind of did the same thing.

I don't feel any hatred towards them because I know they love me very much. I guess they understand that even if one child excels, it doesn't mean the other kid will.

But, if I need something, they're still there. If I want something, they will still get it for me. If I cry for attention, they'll give it to me.

I folded my arms, "Oh, now you're here. Where were you when I needed your help?"

"You want me to show myself in front of your mom?"

"Yes! Now, she thinks I have another imaginary friend."

He sat down on my chair and tilted his head backward. I watch as he spins in circles. "No, thanks. I have enough raging parents breathing behind my neck."