26. Morning People

5.26.20

As it turns out, there's no cell service in the middle of no where, so Jack and I have been wandering along a dark, windy road for at least an hour. "Okay, so I understand you being pissed off at Dan's father, but did you really have to drag me along?"

"Those people are crazy, Jack. I couldn't leave you there." Our footsteps were the only audible noise, but I was really close to Jack just in case anything leapt out us. When I looked at his face in the half light, it was tinted slightly red, and I had to wonder why. "Why is your face red?"

"What? Oh, it's nothing." I was really suspicious of his nerves, but I brushed it off as creepy forest and chilly springtime night temperatures. Headlights approached our position, and I pushed Jack behind my back to be sure he wouldn't get hurt. It is sort of my fault we're alone in a creepy forest in the middle of the night.

"What are you boys doing out here?" Linc's voice shouted from the car, and I let my defenses drop.

"Long story."

"I will never understand y'all. Get in the car!"

I pushed Jack into the black vehicle before climbing in myself. Even though we were in the car, my neck hair was standing up. I only released my defensiveness when we got farther into suburbia, and I leaned my head against the glass. Too much has happened today; I got out of the hospital, figured out that I was actually some wolf thing, then learned that Dan and I are related. Do I ever get a break!?

The world was passing by in a blur, and I allowed myself to drift slowly between consciousness and sleep. Next thing I knew, my body was being lifted up, and I heard someone grunt, "God! I should have woken him up, this kid is heavier than he looks!"

I was carried into the living room, and I allowed my body to sink into the leather couch. Someone pressed a blanket onto my body, and I curled around the material. "I have to admit, he's kind of cute asleep."

"Watch what you say, he might not be completely asleep yet. I think he's a really light sleeper." Someone poked my forehead, and I grumbled before sweeping my hand over the offending finger.

"Let's just leave him alone."

Footsteps walked away, so I allowed myself to sink all the way into the darkness...

When I opened my eyes, I sure as hell wasn't in the living room. Instead, I found myself laying in a grassy field. Something nudged between my shoulders, and I rolled over to see a wolf. It was pretty large, but its ears were still droopy which gave it a kind of cute effect. It had a beautiful swirl of brown across it's coat with piercing, icy blue eyes; my eyes.

"What are you?" I stroked a hand through its fur, and I was surprisingly not afraid of the big beast.

"I'm the wolf inside of you."

"You talk."

"Only to you since you're my human. My name is Sebastian."

I sat up, but my hand didn't leave the fur of the wolf. "I suppose you already know who I am."

"That's true."

"I'm sorry that I was so freaked out when I first shifted, I just wasn't expecting anything like this to happen to me. I mean, I've read plenty of cute love books, but I never thought... Wait, are mates a real thing?" I can't explain in words exactly why I trusted a wolf in my dreams, but it might be linked to the wolf being a part of me. An unknown part, but still a part nonetheless.

"A lot of human myths are based on fact, but there are some crazy ones out there. For instance, you aren't about to massacre an entire town, but you will have a mate when you turn 18. Your mate could be someone you already know or a complete stranger, but you will have one. Human soulmates are rare, but your biological family has a thing for interspecies pairings meaning it's totally possible."

"I'm allowed to ask you for advice, right?"

"Of course."

"What am I supposed to do about this whole family thing? I'm not exactly comfortable with the fact that he abandoned me at such a young age."

"I know what you mean. I don't really appreciate that he locked me away for 12 plus years, but that was for the protection of the supernatural secret. That's one of the questions I have no answer for."

"I like you."

"Well I'm glad or sharing a mind would be pretty hard." I was glad that Sebastian had inherited my sense of sarcasm now. "Mmm... What's that smell?"

I inhaled, and I giggled at the stereotype. "Bacon."

"Bacon!" Sebastian began spinning around in circles, and I fell in love with the childish behavior. Remind me that food is his weakness, too. When I stood up, I had a wolf running around my legs, and it made me giggle.

His eyes were like staring into my own soul, but I chose not to stare into them for too long in fear of losing myself. The more I observed the furry beast, the more I liked that side of me. A genuine smile came onto my lips, but I felt myself begin waking up. "Don't worry, I'll always be in the back of your mind. I'll try not to shift at random times, but do try not to get overly angry. I find it hard not to come to your assistance. That and don't start talking to yourself; you can just think, and I'll hear it. Bye!"

For the first time in a while, I woke up by myself in time to get ready for school. Please God don't make me become the very thing I hate: a morning person.

Sure enough, Jamie was cooking bacon, and I had a fun time sneaking up on her to steal it. Devon: 1. Jamie: 0. "Don't make me use your middle name, mister!" I squealed at the threat, but I still took another piece before sprinting out. "DEVON JACKSON EVANS, GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE!"

I cheekily ran upstairs before busting into Jack's room. "Hide me!"

"I'm just shocked that you're actually awake. I was looking forward to smashing mom's pans again."

Feet came up the stairs, and I chose the awful hiding place of using Jack as a meat shield. Which, considering I'm taller than him by a long shot, was pretty stupid. The door opened, and I pushed Jack's body in front of mine before chewing on the piece of bacon. "Hand over Devon and do one gets hurt."

"I literally can't, he's holding my shoulders like a person afraid of heights holds onto the railings of the empire state building! This is a hostage situation."

Linc came into the room looking exhausted, and his first response was, "Okay, ladies. You're both pretty. Jamie I think the food is burning."

When the woman ran out of the room with something about evil teenagers, I got a wink from Lincoln. "I want brownie points for scaring off the demon." I held up half of the meat, and it was immediately taken out of my fingers. "That works too... Now the both of you get dressed. It's time for school." Ugh.

​​​​​​​For those of you who read this story and got fed up with me not updating it as much, don't worry. I just had to write 32 chapters of another story before I was able to catch it up to this one, but I'm back now, so yay.