27. The Day After

5.26.20

Now that I was up early, I have this down time between when I'm ready and when I get to leave, and it's totally boring. Think of all the extra sleep I could have had! Instead, I spent my time asking for more food and getting told no. Usually, Jack had his breakfast right after he took a shower, so he still had stuff to do right now. I, on the other hand, have the capability to get ready in 10 minutes, and therefore am prepared to leave almost 20 minutes early.

"Please!?"

"I've already said no, Devon. Go bother Jack or something."

"Ew no, he's probably changing!"

"Remind me to never wake you up early."

"I hope you stick to that promise, I don't really want to be up."

"Well that why are you here?"

"I don't know." That's a lie, it's probably linked to Sebastian. I can't exactly say, "oh by the way there's a wolf in my head talking to me."

"They would think you're crazy."

"Jesus Christ you can not do that!" I randomly shouted aloud, and I got a few strange looks from the good old family.

"In fact, they probably think you're insane right about now."

"You can't just scare me like that in front of people, Sebastian!"

"It's kind of my job."

"Do you want me admitted into a mental hospital!?"

"No. I wouldn't be able to run around with constant supervision."

"Then don't scare me!"

"How am I supposed to talk to you?"

"I don't know, move before you speak or something!"

"But I'm too lazy!"

"Damn it I forgot you took after my personality."

"Yep!"

"Devon, you're gonna miss the bus again! Go!"

I sprinted from the house and just barely caught the big yellow hell mobile. As soon as I sat down, everyone else on the bus turned to each other and whispered. "Is that the kid who stole Gabe's girlfriend and got put in the hospital?"

"No, I thought he spat on Gabe's shoe."

"You're both wrong! He's the boy who stole Jack from the popular group and got beat up for it!"

Keep it together, Devon. Can't get mad and become wolf boy, too. Jack squished the skin underneath my elbow, and the little bit of pain brought me back to the right side of my mind. I usually try to keep a positive attitude, but there are some things that mess me up.

Finally, the bus arrives at hell, but it got about 10 times worse. All eyes were on me, but at least I didn't see Gabe. Whenever I see him again, there will be two hits: me hitting him and him hitting the ground. Especially with my weird werewolf strength.

"Devvy I'm so glad you're okay!" Eveline squealed. When she went in for a hug, I swiftly stepped to the side. I noticed that she has lost a significant amount of weight and had make up one inch thick on her face, so I assumed the popular crew had gotten her.

"There is this thing around me called my bubble. Do not get in the bubble."

"Aww, come on!"

"No, you come on! I'm tired of being constantly harassed by you."

"You liked me! You texted me back!"

"You've changed, Eveline Pearson, and it isn't for the better."

"Everyone else likes me!"

"Everyone else likes Jackie?"

"Did you just compare me to the school slut?"

"I think I did!"

I grabbed onto my back pack strap before leaving the girl in the dust on my way to first period. To be totally frank, I haven't even had my first kiss yet. There's so many other things to be worrying about other than kissing a girl– or boy, I don't really know personally. Can't say I've ever thought about it since I don't find identifying myself as the most important thing on my to do list.

I entered my first block before sitting down in my usual seat next to Blake. "Hey, how was your first night out?"

"Hell."

"Oh. I thought you went to Dan's house?"

"I did. It was hell."

"Huh. Were his parents nice?"

"They all just sort of stared at me funky, and Dan was sweating more that me once my fever broke in the hospital."

"That's a lot."

"Mhmm."

"Oh! I should let you know that Dan is in this class. He sits in front of you."

Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, this is gonna be one of the richest conversations to have when everyone's already staring.

"Interesting choice of expression. Did not take you as a theater person."

"Sebastian!"

I grumbled a complaint before putting my head on the desk. My peace be damned, I just can't get a break from the crazies. Sure enough, Daniel came in a few moments later, and I was not his favorite person on the planet. "Meet me in the bathrooms between classes."

"Whatever you say, champ."

I sat through one of the most boring lectures in my life with pretty all unfriendly eyes on me until I had to go down the hallway to the bathroom between 1st and 2nd block. I told Blake that if I didn't come to lunch, I had been killed before stalking down the hall.

As soon as I walked through the wooden door, it was slammed shut, and the lock clicked into place. I spun around on my toes to find a very upset Daniel glaring into my soul. "I don't care what crazy shit you have going on in your life, you have no excuse to speak to someone in my family that way. I want to know who, what, when, where, and why you were raised to be such a cold hearted monster to people."

"It isn't my fault I was given away as a new born baby! He had a choice, and I'm also allowed to have my choice. Until I get to know him a little bit better, I will continue to treat him like he has wronged me. Because you know what? HE'S WRONGED ME!"

"You don't understand the pain he went through! Imagine loving someone so much and not knowing if they were dead or alive."

"Oh trust me, I know. I have spent my entire life living without a parental figure. I have theorized on what I did wrong or if the people who birthed me even loved me. You will never know the pain of growing up with a constant reminder that someone who was supposed to cherish you just didn't. I fantasized the day I might meet my parents as a young teenager, but I lost that dream like so many others. I lost my will, my way, and my purpose. I was broken before I finally found a place; Hopelessly, bitterly broken."

"You selfish bitch!"

"Oh I'm the selfish one!"

"How are we even related!?"

"Well I didn't know until YESTERDAY!" Suddenly, I was pushed backwards, and I released an unintentional growl.

"Devon you're gonna need to get under control."

I stood up straight and pushed him back, but my strength sent him head first into the hand dryer. "Oh, are you looking for a fight, huh? Well I can give you a fucking fight!"

"Devon de-escalate this situation!"

Dan leapt at me, and I stood up to fight. "Devon I can't hold it!"

"Then don't."