31. Birdies

5.29.20

Is it just me, or is lunchtime a warzone? Dan was still sitting at our table, so the tension was high as a kite between him and Jack. Blake was majorly confused, and I was just trying to stomach the shitty cafeteria food.

"Two days ago, we were a normal friend group... What the hell happened to y'all?" Blake is much more suspicious than I thought.

"It's a long story. Better if you just drop it." I rolled my eyes at the heavy annoyance in Jack's tone while he continued to glare at his "sworn enemy."

"There's something you all aren't telling me."

"Blake, drop it." He looked shocked at my harsh words, but at least he shut his pie hole.

"I've never seen you eat so much, Dev."

He's right. When I looked down at my plate, I noticed that it was so full that it was almost overflowing. "We had a crazy morning and there was no breakfast to be had." It was a little white lie, and he seemed to catch onto it.

"Then why is Jack having a normal amount? Also, I never noticed it before, but why does Dan never eat?"

Suddenly, Jack took a different position, and I realized that he was actually testing Blake. "You know why, Blake."

"Uh... No I don't?"

"Think back to turning four. What is it that you aren't telling us?"

"I don't know what you're talking about! I'm not hiding anything!" The panic in his voice gave him away; he knows exactly what Jack is talking about.

Suddenly, Jack pulled a short hair off of Blake's sweater. It was a blonde color which directly contrasted Blake's cherry colored died hair, and I saw his face light up with the oh shit. "Are you going to tell us, or do I need to weasel it out of you?"

"Somewhere else; not here."

"Great, let's go out back."

When we got to the back of the school, Blake immediately twisted his fingers around each other. "Okay, you caught me... I'm dating a guy." Jack's face of shock was easily masked, and I knew what he had been expecting. "I learned I was gay when I turned four... Uh... Actually on you, Dev. I mean, I don't like you now, it's just... Please don't hate me!"

"Seriously? That's it?"

"Were you expecting something else?"

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I was slightly hurt that he never told me something so huge.

"I was just petrified to lose you, Dev. I know it was a dumb fear, but I've known you since diapers."

I quickly enveloped him into a tight hug, and I could hear him crying. "I understand. Secrets that big are so hard to tell." Jack and Dan walked away to give us some space, so I allowed myself to become slightly more comfortable with their tension gone.

"Thank you."

"So... When do I get to meet this boyfriend of yours, hmm?"

"You're really not going to like this... Trust me when I tell you that it happened before you got put in the hospital. I'm dating Gabe."

"WHAT THE F-"

"Shhh, he doesn't want it to get out! I was a bit reluctant to keep going out with him after he hospitalized you, but he's just so charming. Honestly, he wasn't upset because you were hanging out with Daniel; he was really jealous of how much time I spend with you. I didn't talk to him for months in your honor, but when he kissed me– oh boy."

"Blake you're rambling."

"You know I do that when I get nervous!"

"Whatever makes you happy... But I want to meet him properly instead of fuck boy beating me up, okay?"

"Deal." The bell rang out just as I squeezed his shoulder, and he leaned in really close. "Oh, and don't tell Jack, but he's right... I'm not everything I seem."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh... Ya know. We'll continue this conversation on a later date, wolf boy."

I cringed at the nickname, and I heard him giggle. "I won't tell if you don't."

"I won't tell."

"Sick."

When he left, my legs gave out on themselves. Will I ever get a dayum break? I decided to skip fourth block, and I just looked around at the natural setting. The back of the school borders a forest, so I could see all of the wildlife. I saw a bird flying back and forth from the ground, and I figured she was feeding her babies. In a wolf moment of weakness, I walked up to the tree and climbed it.

There were 4 baby birds chirping in the nest, and I knew not to touch them or the mama bird would kill me. I watched the bird feed her offspring, and I wished that I had grown up with the protection of a parent. The little robin looked up at me, and I slowly stuck my finger out. It might not work, but I wanted a bird on my finger.

She actually flew up onto my hand, and I giggled when her beak pecked against my skin. I slowly reached out my other hand before stroking a gentle finger over the robin's back, and her prescious chirping made me feel calm. The final school bell rang, and I realized how long I had been lost in thought. I could hear my friends come behind the school looking for me, but I didn't want to leave the birdie all alone!

"Devon what are you doing in that tree?"

"I was playing with the birdies!" Suddenly, one of the baby birds was put into my hands, and I realized how much the mom trusted me. The little red birdie fluttered around for a few moments before letting out a high pitched, adorable chirp. I could see Jack facepalm through the canopy, but I chose to ignore him. The birds are cuter than him anyways.

"Come on Dev, we're gonna miss the bus!"

"No, they like me!"

"Your loss, I'm going home."

Jack left me alone, and I hardly noticed that the sun was setting until it did. I set the feathery creatures back into their nest and said bye before climbing down the tree. Something is off about the atmosphere down here, but I just have to get–

Suddenly, something was forced over my nose and mouth, and I struggled against whoever was trying to kidnap me. I tried shouting for help, but no one could hear me since I was too deep into the woods. My arms were grabbed and forced behind my back, but I continued fighting. I have to get free!

"Help would be appreciated, Seb!"

Suddenly, a hand hit me roughly on the back of my neck, and I lost all connection with Sebastian. The world was beginning to go fuzzy, but I kept struggling. My movements grew weak, and I felt like my limbs weren't responding. I tried to shout again when the cloth was removed from my mouth, but my own vocal chords wouldn't move. I was alive and aware, but I couldn't do anything about my current situation. Whatever was in the cloth and the hit on my neck must have been messing with my abilities. "Mr. Dean will be pleased."