63. Blinking

6.18.20

Alex's POV

I slapped at the 15th bug that was trying to bite my skin, and it drew a quiet chuckle from my annoyingly cute husband. I would have snapped back, but we didn't know if we were in enemy territory yet or not. I had to keep silent, or I could be putting us all into danger. We were all looking closely for traps and things that would blow our cover, and I had dodged around about a hundred of them. I'm glad that none of my wolves had tried to patrol in here, or I would have had to deal with that.

A building that was about 4 stories tall rose on the horizon in front of us, and I noted that it was almost an exact replica of the old Harsin Mansion... I still shiver to think about that horrible place. My hand latched tightly around Ash's arm, and I knew he was feeling the same as he rubbed my bicep.

"Is everyone ready?" he breathed into the night air, and collective hums of agreement came up from everyone in our little group. I heard a little disturbance behind us, but it was probably just my brother trying to load that stupid weapon of his.

I slinked forward with Ash by my side, and I was pretty sure they could hear my heart beat all the way in Australia. As I carefully put one foot in front of the other, I thought about my baby. He's alone in there probably being injured simply because we had a stupid plan. If he comes out hurt... Heaven help this stupid coven.

Suddenly, I took another step forward, and an alarm rang out through the whole forest. Pretty much everyone in the group was unaffected except for me and my brother, so I figured it was especially designed to hurt the ears of wolves. Ash slipped a pair of noise cancelling ear buds into my ears, and I smiled gratefully at him as the siren wasn't deafening anymore.

I saw a group of vampires rushing towards us, so we surged forward to meet them. I easily ducked a gunshot, but I fell onto Ash who then had to waste time putting me back on my feet. In those 2 seconds, another vampire leapt at us, and my husband went down under their body. It took me a few tries, but I managed to hit the offender hard enough to knock him out cold. Another person launched at us, and we were soon in the thick of battle trying to save our child.

In that moment, a voice rang through the clearing, and I jerked my face up to meet the producer's eyes. "Surrender or I will drop him." The threat wasn't alarming until I recognized my son being dangled over the edge of the roof. My heart rate could definitely be heard by everyone around me, but it eased a bit when he smiled at me. I noticed how his face seemed to be slightly injured and bloody, and it made me angry.

In fact, I got so angry that when he was held out a little bit more, I automatically punched the closest enemy. Of course, that started the fighting again, and I had to focus into that. Uppercut, step left, dodge the knife. I repeated instructions in my head while fighting, but that track just sort of stopped when I saw...

Devon's POV

When I woke up, I was alone again in the room. They're probably messing with Oli, and as selfish as this is going to sound, I'm kind of glad that it isn't me. Suddenly, a loud screeching noise came across the PA system, and I had to cover my ears so that they didn't bleed. I hope that's the alarm, and my family is attacking the house to come for me. Otherwise, I'm going to cry.

The door to my prison burst open, but it wasn't anyone I recognized. I was tied up tightly before being dragged through the hallway. Pretty much everyone was staring at me, and I saw a lot of people smirking to themselves. Okay, so they know what's about to happen to me, and it isn't going to be pretty based on their shit eating expressions. As I was pulled through the corridors, I got a good opportunity to look at their ugly ass wallpaper. Seriously, who decorated this place?

I was pulled all the way to a staircase, and I felt my face hit every step on the way up. It stung, but I didn't let it show. They don't deserve to see my weakness. When we finally arrived at the roof, and I could see fighting in the courtyard. "Surrender or I will drop him!" His voice rang clearly through the whole battle area, and everything seemed to lag for a second. I was being dangled over the 4 story tall roof, and it made my heart begin to beat out of my chest.

My eyes connected my Papa's emerald green ones, and I could see the panic in his gaze. I managed to give a slight smile even though I was scared out of my shits. My feet wiggled slightly from the absence of a solid beneath them, but I was attracted to the night sky. The moon was brightly shining, and I could see so many stars dotting the blackness. If this is my last time seeing the sky... I don't think I mind.

When the fighting began again courtesy of Papa being extremely angry, I knew my fate. It hurts, knowing that I'm not going to live another day. It sends stabbing pains into my heart to think about never seeing Oliver again, but I didn't care as long as he ended up safe.

My entire world went up into my stomach as my collar was released, and I sort of enjoyed feeling weightless as my body plummeted towards the grass below me. Everything was moving in slow motion, and I could see everyone trying to fight.

As soon as I made contact with the ground, this horrible pain shot up my back, and I felt my world slowly go dark...

The world was spinning, and I was the center of it all. I watched as all of my memories played before my eyes, but they stopped revolving with one face. Oliver... I never got to say goodbye. I never got to tell him one last time the I love him, and I never got to mention that his smile was beautiful.

I looked to my left, and I saw Jack staring back at me. His smile was just as wide, and his hand was extended towards me as he coined the phrase "True family" over and over again in my mind.

Just when I reached my hand to touch him, his figure dispersed into smoke, and I was face to face with my biological parents. They were holding onto each other tightly while Dad whispered something in Papa's ear that made him laugh. Their eyes connected with mine, and I saw Papa open an arm for me to join into their embrace. I made a run towards them, but they disappeared as well. I found myself alone in a small room, and I remember thinking, "is this what death feels like?"

Everything blinked once... Twice... Then ceased to exist.