76. Ready?

6.28.20

Devon's POV

My head hung lowly, but I knew that worse was coming. Today, I was going to feel how it is to have a soul torn from my living body... Yeowch. When the old man came back, he was carrying some kind of tool that would probably help him with taking my life later today. Please, I have so much to live for!

"Ipme ijn!" (Hold him!) At the sick words, hands latched around my chin and skull, and I saw the tool growing closer to my eyes. The metallic pieces clipped around my eyelashes, and the handle was pulled back so my eyes were sealed wide open. My head was still stuck in the same position, and I was forced to make eye contact with the man trying to kill me. His red eyes sucked me in just like Oliver's, and I realized that it was a demonic trait. Just when I began to think this may be a peaceful death for me, this searing pain spread into my chest. The sensation swirled and burned all over my body, and I could hear the king complaining about my young soul clinging. Hold on, little buddy. I still need you...

My eyes were drifting between open and closed from the pain, but when they were opened, the world was just a blur. I didn't realize I had been screaming until my throat grew hoarse, but I could sense my energy being sucked from my whole being. The little soul came loose with an oddly audible pop, and I got a few seconds to kiss my body goodbye as it shut down. The pain of a soulless body extends farther than just physically; my emotions are non existent. I can't fight any longer, and I don't fear what's coming; I just am.

My burning wrists were unchained from the radiator, and I landed in the floor with a thud. The rest of my energy leaked through the cold, concrete floor, and my body shut itself down on me. I reached a hand forwards to try and feel something, anything, but my heart gave up. The forearm extended in front of me hit against the floor with a dull thud, and the breath in my lungs was released... I'm dead...

***

Oliver's POV

I woke up with this horrible panging, a distress signal, in my chest, but that was only the first thing I noticed. My right ear is on fire, and my arm was in a sling. However, I believe I'm alright physically; I'm more worried about this throbbing in my chest. My concern elevated when I realized that it was the space Devon usually occupied, and the realization made me shoot out of bed.

"We have your little friend, pathetic earthlings. Show yourselves in hell, or the boy meets his maker," a masculine voice threatened somewhere above my head, and I ripped out various wires embedded into my skin. I stumbled through the empty, dark hospital corridors until I reached another room towards the end of the hallway. I could hear Dev's Uncle's voice talking about how he didn't have enough time to focus and save the boy through the wood, so I did the most sensible thing in this situation; I kicked that door in! 6 bodies jumped into action, and I almost had my ass whooped before 4 of them recognized me.

"Oliver you scared the shit out of us," Dad breathed while placing a hand on top of his heart, and the entire room relaxed. "Why such a dramatic entrance?"

"I am getting extreme distress signals from my soulmate, and it's starting to make my decision making become rash. I apologise."

"Wait, distress signals from Devon? How strong?"

I took a moment to tune into my mind, and it only took a few seconds of searching through my conscious thoughts to find his hurt. It was just minor at first, but there was a sudden wave of pain that washed over me. I fell onto the floor as the fire spread to my other limbs, and there was immediate attention on my state by the others. It feels like I'm being stripped of everything... Oh God. When the pain finally ended, there was just nothing. No other pulse ringing in my ears, no random thoughts of my soulmate... Silence. "We need to go now!"

"Woah woah woah what's wrong?"

"Devon... He's gone silent. I can't... I can't feel his heartbeat..."

"Come here." I approached the uncle, and his hand connected with my forehead. Our eyes connected, and I could basically feel him sifting through my soul searching for a sign of my soulmate. "There's nothing I can do... It appears his soul has been terminated." The words physically pained the 35 year old man, but it hurt me more. I just got him, and he slipped through my fingers.

"No mercy," I breathed, but no one had quite heard.

"What?"

"I said no fucking mercy!" I slammed my hand down onto the table so hard that the wood split in half, and eyes widened at my anger. One thing's for certain; my father is never getting away with this. Another familiar face appeared in the doorway, and we all rejoiced to see Jack standing against the door frame. Jamie hugged her son tightly, but he wasn't super interested in her touch at that second.

"What did you say?"

"Jack... He killed Dev." The words caused a dangerous flicker of blue electricity to spawn at his hand, and we made eye contact. It's time to fight together for the person we love, not against each other.

"Kick 'em in the ass?"

"Kick 'em in the ass!" I managed to stand with assistance from the teen warlock, and we turned to find everyone staring at us.

"You planning to help, or are you just gonna stare at us for the rest of our lives?"

The crazy uncle was the first to stand behind us, and the others quickly followed. I watched as the older man handed out his spare weapons and taught them how to use them, but I was bouncing on my toes. We don't have time for this! Jack pushed a gentle hand on my shoulder, and I turned to look into his baby blue eyes. They were alight with the same flame of hatred as mine, and he had a smirk thrown across his lips. We began to talk strategy with each other, and I realized that we have a lot more in common than I initially thought.

"Boys, we should get going if we want any hope of getting him back. Don't kill the father yet; we need him to force Dev's soul back into his body." Jack practiced a touch of moving his magic from hand to hand while I took a spear from Allystar and operated the thing like it was a second nature. I had been trained as a young boy to use pretty much any type of weapon, but I never expected to be wielding one made of steel. As soon as I had gotten used to the weight, I sheathed it behind my back.

"Ready?"

"Ready."