40. Closer

6.03.20

I was lying in my bed when I remembered the words that Blake had said before Jack and I were kidnapped. "Oh, and don't tell Jack, but he's right... I'm not everything I seem."

I gently scooted Jack's still sleeping body to the side before climbing out of the bed. The other three had already woken up and left, so I walked down the hallway until I found them shouting in a room.

"HAH! I WON!" Daniel sounded mostly back to normal now, and I was glad that he wasn't still mad at himself.

"Hacker!" When I poked my head around the door frame, Blake had his arms crossed over his chest. Gabe's head was buried in his hair while his boyfriend sat on his lap, and I felt my heart melt. Their relationship is so adorable!

When I walked into the room, all eyes looked up at me, and I could see the questioning in Gabe's gaze. Blake knows what actually happened, obviously. "Hah! I got you! I made all of you think I actually broke my leg. Call me the prank genius!"

"That was so convincing, Dev. Well played."

"Blake, can I talk to you?"

"Whatever."

I lead him down the hall, and once we reached a quiet looking room, I pushed him into it. After making sure that there was no one in the room, I turned back to my best friend. "You're going to tell me what you meant when you said you're not everything you seem, and I'm not taking no for an answer!"

"Are you certain you want to know?"

"Of course I want to know!"

"Out of every supernatural creature, the fallen angle is the strongest. The thing is that they aren't exactly the most pure beings, so you never know if they're evil or not."

"Your point?"

"They have a tendency to experiment on other creatures to see what weapons they can make. I'm an escaped experiment; that's why I disguised myself as an orphan. I didn't want them to find me, but I know they're still looking. There's a bounty on my head for 1,000,000 dollars, so I didn't want to tell you in a public place. Evidentially someone was listening based on the rumor passed about me and Gabe, so I made the right decision."

"What were they using you for?"

"They were trying to make something that could control others without becoming compromised themselves... I was the first one that succeeded, and I knew that I had to leave. If they knew how to replicate me, the world would descend into chaos."

"You can control people?"

"Not only people. I can control anything alive on this planet. There's a reason I never get sick; the bacteria hate people like me, and I have a tendency to accidentally kill them. I guess I am still technically an orphan; I grew up in the lab. I don't know if my family even exists or if they comprised me out of thin air."

"Can I see?"

"See what?"

"What happens when you control someone."

"I don't really like revealing it, but if it will ease your mind, I guess so."

I poked my head out of the room to see a random person walking by. They didn't look too important based on the fact that they were dragging a mop behind them, so I grabbed their arm before pulling them into the room. Blake looked up, and his eyes glowed yellow before his body grew eerily still. The person next to me fell onto the floor, and I was shocked to see him crawl forward towards Blake's frozen body.

Instead of grabbing the boy, the controlled man pulled himself up using the desk. He walked rigidly up to the bookshelf and pulled down a leather journal before flipping through the pages. When he found what he was looking for, he tore out about five pages before allowing them to fall to the ground. He put the book back before walking back to the door, and he closed it just before Blake began moving again.

"That was impressive."

"Could have been better, I'm just a bit dusty."

"What does it feel like to be on the receiving end?"

"Come here."

I walked up to my best friend, and I saw his eyes glow yellow before I lost control over all of my limbs. It's like an out of body experience, but I'm in my body. My legs moved towards the door, and I walked back down to the game room. "Hey, Dev, where's Blake?"

I wanted to respond, but my mouth wouldn't open on my command. Wacky. Jack had joined them, and he looked up at me with a strange expression. "You're acting strange," he observed. "What's wrong with you?"

I was snapped back into my own body, and my legs gave out from the unexpected weight. When I was laying on the ground staring at the ceiling, I began getting used to having my limbs back. It's very strange going both in and out of my body like it just didn't belong to me. Jack's blue eyes squinted down at my face for a few seconds before I broke into a wide smile. "Wacky."

"What are you talking about?"

"Unimportant!" I sat up, but I miscalculated the distance. My face ended up mere inches away from Jack's, and I was so close that I could see his light freckles. I was about to scoot away, but his arm went behind my neck to keep me still. His eyes were shimmering in thought, and my heart was hammering in my ears. I can't like him... Can I? Would it really be so illegal?

He got closer to me somehow, but having his body this close set something off in my mind. I pushed on the center of his chest in alarm before flying backwards. His eyes clouded over, and I found that I wanted to take back my actions so bad. Instead, I stood up on unsteady legs before sprinting out of the room.

I arrived in an empty bedroom, and my legs gave out from under me. I'm such a fucking idiot, and a coward, and I don't deserve anything I have. I always hurt the people closest to me, and that's a fact. Tears rushed to my face, but no matter how hard I tried, they wouldn't go down. My fingers pulled at my short hair, and I felt my mind descending into chaos.

I think I like him, but I can't admit it. I don't want to destroy the one relationship I have, so I'll have to go into desperate measures. I need to find someone else to distract from him and fast. The door clicked open slightly, and a light pair of feet came around the bed. Blake pulled me into his lap before hugging me while I cried. This certainly isn't his first rodeo of watching me weep; it had happened a lot when I realized that other people my age had parents. That may have been a long time ago, but he still knew exactly how to calm me down.

However, this time I had worked myself up too high, and my breathing began to get harsh. "Dev, you need to breathe." I tried to follow his instructions, but inhaling more than a gasp hurt my lungs. My vision began to get blurry, yet I still didn't calm down. The world then flashed twice before blinking out completely.