38. Black Blobs

6.02.20

The entire crew is knocked out, and it's only 12:45. Of course, Jack had decided to fall asleep on top of me, so it's not like I could do anything else other than watch them sleep. Jack's slightly long black hair fell onto his closed eyelids, and his mouth was slightly ajar. It's adorable... Wait what? I can't have feelings for him; I draw the line there. That would be weird since we're legally brothers.

I heard the door crack open, and someone I didn't recognize poked a head into the room. My arms automatically hugged Jack closer protectively, but whoever it was didn't seem to be a threat. He didn't seem to notice that I was awake when he stalked around the bodies of my friends on the floor, and he got to the bookshelf in the corner.

The man's fingers brushed over the spines of whatever books were over there, and I saw him pull a large one off of the shelf. Suddenly, his figure strangely jumped even though there wasn't any disturbance, and he did a swift 180° turn to make eye contact with me. His ocean blue eyes shimmered with nerves, and he had dropped the book when he jumped. The strange thing is that he wasn't staring at me, but behind me. To be honest, I don't think he even knows I'm here still.

"They're rising," his voice, hollow and frightened, breathed. "Alex!"

It was a weird exchange, but whatever. Well, that is until I looked behind me. There was a black thing about two inches from my left ear, and I quickly scrabbled away to look at it as a whole. Jack had woken up from my movements, and his baby blue eyes stared into mine. "What–" His eyes followed my gaze, and he immediately broke off his questions. "Devon, we need to get everyone out of this room right now."

"What is that thing?"

"I'll explain later, just get out. No offense, but you're going to take the longest. I'm going to get the others out, just go!"

My crutches were too close to the black blob for my liking, so I ended up crawling out the best I could. Jack got everyone else out before noticing my struggle and grabbing my body around the mid to pull me out. I felt something curl around my leg when we were almost out, and I tried kicking it away. However, it just grabbed onto me tighter, and I shouted out when the tentacle like darkness tightened enough to cut off blood circulation to my left foot.

"Dev a bit further I know it hurts on your leg."

"No we have bigger problems than that!"

Jack looked down at me, and his eyes widened at my predicament. "Not good!"

"Tell me about it!" The darkness began curling up farther around my stomach, and it was beginning to cut off my ability to breathe. We might have been able to fix it at that point, but then I felt myself beginning to drag backwards. I tried to wiggle my way out, but my desperate movements made the darkness move up my body faster. "Jack!"

"Dev, we're going to get you out, just breathe."

"I literally can't!" The tentacle ran up my neck before curling around my mouth rendering me speechless. It mutated to curl around my arms and make me motionless, and I had tears coming to my eyes. When it pulled me back across the floor again, the blackness was much stronger than Jack, and he fell onto the floor from the force.

It dug into my skin painfully, so taking in deep breaths was impossibly painful. The world was suddenly upside down, and I could see Jack shouting frantically at everyone else. The world began going slightly dizzy, and I realized that I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my brain. All I could feel was the pain all over my body, and I could hear absolutely nothing.

Jack was still shouting, and when he saw my current hanging upside down state, he began talking with his arms. Suddenly, something green flew at me, and I tumbled onto the floor. As soon as my body hit, I was lifted up and pulled from the room.

Fingers snapped in front of my face, but I found it hard to focus. At least I can breathe again. Water was dumped onto my face, and that did the job to get me back to focus. "Devon are you okay?"

"Just grand, Jack."

"Alright he's fine we got the sarcasm."

I scowled at his words, but he's right. If I'm not being sarcastic, I'm probably dead. "What the fuck was that thing?"

"That's a demon. They feed on good intentions and weakness, so that's probably why they targeted you."

"You calling me weak, pretty boy?"

"You can't move very fast. Not meant to be attacking your character."

"Well, that and if they kill him, we can't exactly save the world. That's probably also why they kidnapped you using Dan's body." Okay I think I finally figured out how to name my parents. It's kind of strange to have two fathers, but whatever. The black haired one is dad, and the other one is going to be... Papa because Dan already calls him that.

"What are you talking about, save the world?"

"Neither of you thought to tell him? Idiots!"

"Uh you didn't tell me there was a demon behind my head, so you have no room. Hell you never told me who you are in the first place!"

"Oh! I'm your uncle! Sorry about the demon, I wasn't paying attention to you. Sometimes I forget to look at the normal world before I run off."

"Normal world?"

"I just so happen to be the spirit king."

"You what?" I didn't know what it means, but clearly Jack has an issue based on his upset tone.

"Got a problem, witch boy?"

"You're the ones that started a war, and I'm not a fucking witch, I'm a warlock!"

"Actually, you guys started it by figuring out how to bring spirits back to life. We aren't designed to live again; usually our loves are dead, and we have no reason to be alive. However, you all were dragging people out of the grave and making them unhappy! The afterlife is sacred!"

"We were just trying to improve lives!"

"Okay will someone just tell me how I'm supposed to be saving the world."

The two continued to glare, and it was Papa that finally answered me. "There's a prophecy in an ancient book, come with me and I'll show you while they fight."

"I can't walk."

He returned a few moments later with my crutches, and I followed him into a dusty, old library. He pulled down a massive book, and I watched as he flipped through the pages that had yellowed with age.

Finally, I was instructed to look, and I was shocked to find that there was actually a passage about me in the book. "What am I saving the world from?"

"17 years ago by the day, there was a rising of demons from a portal. We tried to close it, but it took too long. They escaped from us underground, and we understood that they would return. Now they have, and it's up to you and your friend to stop them."

"That's a lot."

"You'll be fine, I promise."

"I hope."