73. Hospital... Again

6.25.20

Devon's POV

When I finally came to, I knew something was up. There was a strange static feeling in the back of my mind, and I could hear talking and someone pacing back and forth. Then my mind jumped to something else... Oliver. Where is Oliver?

I forced my body awake and to a sitting position rather quickly, and the movement drew eyes from all over the room. I realized that everyone in my family that wasn't in the car was here, but there were two men in the corner that I didn't recognize. Eh, whatever they're probably important. "Where's Oliver." My voice sounded scratchy, but I didn't care. I need to know where my demon is now.

"We're unsure. They had to put the hospital on lockdown because of the demon invasion. He could either be in surgery or normal, they didn't tell us who was where." I went to stand up, but my body was pushed down by the same person who spoke, Papa. "I understand that you feel like you need to get to him, but they'll never let you find him. You're still injured." I tested out my body, but nothing seemed severely out of place. My hands and claves had bandages wrapped tightly around them, but I was fine other than that.

They hadn't even bothered to plug in a heart monitor, so I was basically free of wires. I assume that they just had to sedate me to calm me down, but I would have to lose my mind on that later. "Who are they?" I gestured to the unfamiliar men off to the side, but neither seemed to notice as they were too engrossed in each other. There was one with black hair that was attempting to calm another with dark brown locks, and dude number two looked scared off of his shits from something. They both wore matching sliver rings, so I assumed that they were married. My confirmation came from the love in their eyes as the black haired one spoke in a hushed tone, and they both seemed to be in a little bubble.

"That... They're the total amount of grandparents that we actually talk about."

"Really? Wouldn't there be 4?"

"It's a long story, just trust me that you don't want to mention the other two."

"Oh... Which one of y'all brought the salty in laws?"

"We both had one. That generation of the family is extremely odd, so we just pretend that it's normal."

"Well considering the current state of the hospital, I got time."

"Fine. You're as stubborn as your father. Basically my dad and Ash's dad were soulmates, but they both pretended they weren't and had wives and kids. We ended up dragging them back together with our relationship, and they grew closer together. They got married 10 years ago, and they've been much happier since. That's just the simplified version, you would have to ask them for more detail."

"Alex, are you talking behind our backs again?" The brown haired man turned, and I assumed he was my papa's father from the creepy similarity in their eyes.

"Guilty as charged. Didn't delve too much into it, though."

"Who's kid is he anyways?" Ouch, let me check my pride a bit. Ope, shattered? Fuck.

"Oh! Crap I forgot to tell you..."

"Tell me what?"

"So I know you've always been suspicious what happened to my other baby..."

"You're kidding."

"I'm not. He's your grandson, papa."

The look that the older man shot me made my heart stop, and I felt sort of inadequate under his judging eyes. "Whys he so... Weak... Looking?"

Shot through the heart, and he's to blame... That hurt a lot on my already fragile self esteem. "Dad!"

"Hey, we both know it's true!"

"He's just untrained, watch what you say." Just when my grandfather was about to say something else hurtful, his soulmate gently wrapped his arms around his waist and whispered something into his ear. "Don't worry, he did that to me when I was a kid, too," Papa reassured me, and I could see the truth in his eyes. The hurt at the knowledge swirled in with the green, and my father leaned in to give him a large hug. I was feeling uncomfortable around so many couples, but it's fine... I'm fine... I don't miss him. Okay, yeah who am I fooling? Certainly not myself.

I felt someone softly caress my shoulder from behind, and I spun to find my uncle. "I know you miss him. Trust me, I miss mine too, and I probably won't forgive myself of he dies alone out there. I shouldn't have let him leave... Not with the threat."

I looked into his wise, dark blue eyes, and I could see his guilt and pain buried in them. For some reason, I was suddenly much better at reading people once I reached the physical age of 18. Eh, whatever, this guy needs a big hug. I pulled him into a tight embrace, and he leaned into my body gratefully. "I'm sure he's safe and hoping you are, too. I don't know who he is, but he must be strong with a soulmate like you. Don't be afraid for him, focus on yourself."

"You've grown much more mature in the last few days."

"I suppose so."

There was a loud thud on the window, and the lights in the room grew dim. When I looked at the glass, I got the fright of my life to see a pair of yellow eyes staring back at me, but I kept calm. Control comes when I just let it happen... OH GOD A FUCKING DEMON!!! Of course, I kept my outward appearance of not pissing my panties which I do actually wear... Just kidding... I didn't keep my outer shell. I screamed like a little girl. My uncle slapped a hand over my mouth, and I heard his urgent whispers telling me to shut up. Once I had managed to bite my tongue quite literally– ow–, his hand dropped away from my mouth. My eyes were widened at the dark figure, but it was them next to be covered. "Don't look at it, it'll eat your soul."

My body tensed up on its own, and I turned away so he could drop his hand. "Why is it staring at us?"

"It's attempting to sense the vulnerable. Don't appear that way; you're doing well." A hand softly stroked up and down my back, but it wasn't comforting because it wasn't Oliver.  "Don't think about whatever you're thinking. It's opening your mind to evil spirits. Breathe... In and out... In and out..." I followed his instructions and closed my mind to the outside forces trying to break in. The room was dipping in temperature, and I couldn't suppress a shiver that ran down my spine. I thought about– "Don't think about the powers, they can hear your thoughts and they'll know you're special. They'll break in and destroy us all." Jesus this man knows what I'm thinking even before I do. "I'm in your head idiot." Freaky. Finally the room began to rise in temperature, and my uncle braved a look towards the window. "Ohhhh shit!"