49. Snapped

6.09.20

"Oliver's a demon..."

You would think I had just started world war fucking sixteen. Dad immediately stood up so quickly that his chair flew into the back wall, and I could tell that I was about to hear it. "How dare you betray your family like this!"

"It isn't my fault! Love is love!"

"Love is love except when it could be because a demon is manipulating you! How stupid can you be?"

"Oli isn't manipulating me, and he isn't a bad person so stop thinking it."

"They all are! Many vampires have been killed by the likes of them!"

"You're actively depriving them of food!"

"How so, huh? A soul is a soul!"

"Eating someone who was killed by a vampire makes them die, father!"

"So? There's plenty of others!"

Papa snapped out of his daze, and suddenly I had two parents shouting about how stupid I was. "You can't go about dating the enemy!"

Jack was smirking as I deflated to the intense criticism, but I felt my outer shell break down. My face became flushed in the attempt not to cry, but none of the adults seemed to care as Linc and Jamie joined into the "let's all yell at Devon!" Show.

Oli pulled me against his chest, but that only did to make their words stronger. My legs began to quiver with my lower lip, and I couldn't hold the tears in anymore as I started to cry. Oliver would have gotten us out of there, but someone had their hand on his arm so that he couldn't.

His fingers brushed lightly under my eyes as if no one was screaming, and I focused on the touch. I chose to focus all of my attention on him, and it was almost easy to ignore all of the noise. I was enchanted with his red eyes, and I lost a sense of my surroundings for long enough to press a passionate kiss on his lips.

He was shocked at first, but he just sunk into my body instead of questioning it. I wrapped both arms around his neck honestly forgetting that my whole family was in the room, and he had to hold my waist to keep my from falling backwards. Something was niggling at the back of my mind, but I ignored the sensation in favor of the better one at my lips.

I realized that the world around us had gone completely silent, and I pulled away gently from Oli. His eyes opened slowly, and I could see the restricted lust in the swirling red irises. At least he's willing to wait for me to be ready before we did anything too unfavorable.

"Alex I think I'm going to die."

"Right, drama queen. I'm not even going to lie, that was the cutest thing I've ever seen!"

"Betrayal, babe!"

"You're telling me it wasn't adorable?"

"Yes! My own son is kissing one of my worse enemies!"

"What did they ever do to you personally."

"Alex... They almost took our lives. Remember when Dan was 5?"

"Those were demons?"

"Yes."

"In that case, screw you asshole."

"What did my father do this time?"

"He sent a party of demons to our house in an attempt to kill our child and destroy the prophecy!"

"Hey, that happened to us too around that time." Lincoln was hardly in the conversation, but he was certainly trying to be.

"Listen, I know my father is a bad person. Trust me, I know. I'm sure that he's wreaked havock on your families for the last 17 years, but that isn't my fault. I'm different than him."

"Your father... You're the prince, aren't you."

"Yes sir."

"Damnit Devon the prince at that!"

"Stop yelling at me!" I finally snapped, folks. I'm not going to let him shove me around anymore. "I am living the life that I'm choosing to live, and you can't change my mind. I love Oliver, and I don't give half a flying fish stick if you don't like it. So you can take that fish stick and shove it up your ass!" The entire room stopped at my outburst, and I slowly made eye contact with everyone to show how dead serious I was.

"Dev I didn't realize–"

"No, no you didn't. You made me feel like absolute garbage in the last 5 minutes, and that wasn't okay in the slightest. You wonder why I'm willing to run away with my hot demon prince? Here you go. No one takes my feelings seriously because I'm just the troubled boy that grew up with no family, but he does. To Oliver, I'm just a boy. A boy that he loves, or at least I assume so. Sure, I'll give it to you that I can be fragile sometimes, but that doesn't mean that I can just be manipulated. That doesn't mean that I can't choose who to love just because I want to. Let's avoid the fact that the first person I tried to love was human, and she ended up hurting me, too, why don't we!"

"You're out of line–"

"No! I'm just speaking what's been on my mind since the very beginning. Get it through your thick skull that I don't care what you think, okay?"

Those words shut him up again, and I melted when Oli's hand grazed my abdomen. I tilted my head back to look at him, and he had a proud smirk on his face. "Uh, for what it's worth, I think you have a cute relationship. I can see the love you already have for each other," Papa added nervously. Linc and Jamie were still silent, and Jack was seething in his seat.

Suddenly, the seal on his lips was broken, and words seemed to tumble from his lips before he could think. "After everything I've done for you, you go running to someone else. I loved you... As more than a brother. I thought it was obvious."

"I'm sorry, but I didn't feel the same way. It's different with Oli, Jack. I can't describe it."

"Yeah, it's called leaving me in the dirt. I get it."

"You're going to find someone, but we weren't supposed to be a thing. I'm sorry it turned out this way."

"Sorry my ass. You enjoy seeing me in pain, don't you."

"Of course not!"

"How many people am I going to lose before I just cease to try? First Maggie, now you!" Oliver was about to say something, but I pinched his arm tightly to get him to shut up. That's her story to tell, not his. "Is it something wrong with me?"

"Jack there's more fish in the sea."

"I want you, is that so much to ask?"

"Yes. Like Oli said earlier, I'm not a doll to be bought and sold."

"Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, would you shut up about him!? This is about us!"

"Jack, you're delusional."

"Am I? I'm fine, aren't I fine?"

"Jack please calm down, I wasn't trying to hurt you too much!"

"Congratulations, you did anyways! Are you satisfied yet?"

"Can we just be like we were before?"

"You broke my heart, Devon. I'm not going to forgive you right away."

"Fine, that's your loss. I tried. Oliver bring us home."

"That's your home now?"

"Home is with the people who love me."

"We love you, Devon."

"I'm not so sure. I'll see you tomorrow."