77. Helper

6.29.20

As we all prepared to leave, a frail voice spoke up from the door. "Wait!" I spun around in shock to see Dev's best friend, Blake, staring at us. "I can help you."

"How so, kid? You don't understand the full danger of the world around you yet, let alone what we're about to do." Allystar's comment was definitely getting into Blake's head, and I wanted to snigger.

"Trust me, I can help!"

When the uncle was about to open his mouth to argue again, I couldn't take it anymore. We're on a time limit here, people! "We have to go!" I complained. "Just let him come, but know that anything that may happen to you is your own fault."

"Oli we can't just let a human come with us into hell! Are you stupid?"

"Wait whoever said anything about me being a human!?"

"Ha! Knew it!" Jack piped up, and he got a dirty look from Allystar. "What? If he wants to come, that's his choice human or not. I may not know what he is, but that doesn't make him defenseless."

The older man sighed loudly before handing Blake the last of the spears and giving him minor training on the weapon. I'm definitely beginning to get restless, but luckily the training was expedited. "Alright, how are we travelling?"

"I can take a maximum of three people at a time, so we would have to take three trips. I think we start by taking a stealth approach until we're spotted, and we can hope that that isn't before everyone in our group's in hell." Everyone nodded in agreement to my plan, and I gestured Allystar and my soulmate's parents forward. The three men grabbed onto my arms and shoulders, and I used my magic to teleport off to the side of hell's entrance. We were standing in the blind spot of security, and I gave them a few seconds to step back before teleporting back home. Using my abilities so often would probably end up taking its toll on my health later, but I strangely didn't care in the slightest. I just need Devon back; I need to remain strong. Not for myself, but for a chance to see his beautiful smile again.

Once everyone was in the underworld, we slipped through a hole in the wall to enter the main area. Once we did, it was surprisingly easy to blend in with the constant motion of my childhood home. No one ever payed us a second of time as they rushed back and forth doing chores for my father, so it was simple to get into the castle. On the inside it was even busier, and a young woman ran over to us as soon as we were on the interior. "Ljoh Nbsjtf offet dmfbovq pn xftu xjoh." (King Marise needs cleanup on west wing.) The woman immediately ran off, and I decided that we would follow her instructions. It gives us an explanation for why we've entered the castle. As I lead the group through the corridors of my old home, I was focused on not being recognized. The others would be fine as we're always receiving new souls, but I'm well known around here.

Once we got to the west wing, I recognized that we were the only ones here except for a manager demon. The tired looking woman directed us into a room, and we entered the gray scale space. It looked like an uncomfortable place to stay, and there was just a metallic radiator in the corner. Well... Almost just the radiator in the corner. My entire body swayed threateningly when I caught sight of his body on the floor, but I knew I had to keep in my tears or our cover would be blown. Suddenly, footsteps entered the room, and I spun around to see my father grinning at us. "When they told me you were in hell, I didn't believe them. I mean honestly how stupid can you be? You know that I can just destroy you."

I felt my anger, sadness, and pain fuel my actions when I drew the spear from behind my back, and I saw fear in my father's eyes for the first time. He knows that I now hold the power to destroy him, and he was beginning to soften. "Put it back."

"Now now, son. Let's put the spear down and we can talk like adults!" His tone began to waver with every word, and it fed power into my veins.

"Put his soul back into his body."

"No."

"You expect me to stand by and watch as my own father kills my soulmate? Put it back!" I felt a hand on my shoulder push me to the side, and I realized that the group had surrounded my father with their spears. I stood back into the circle, and Blake stepped up in front of the man I considered a father. His spear was nearly up in the man's throat, and his eyes suddenly glowed a puke colored yellow. All of the boy's muscles locked up, but then my father moved. Spears were pointed closer to his flesh, but his voice rang out in words that shocked us all. 

"Please calm down, it's Blake. I have control over his body." That's freaky. I watched him walk over to Devon's dead body, and my heart clenched when the boy was rolled over. His eyes were staring blankly at me, and the glossiness was making me feel a bit sick. Blake was using his abilities to put the soul back into his body, but it scared me that it might not work. If Blake accidentally lost control of the soul, it would be lost in the abyss forever; never belonging anywhere. I held my breath in my chest while the process was in progress, and it took a few minutes before Blake sat back. "I want one of you to watch their bodies."

"Why? What are you thinking?" Jamie looked a bit traumatised, but she would eventually get through it. Especially if this works.

"I think we need to imprison him while he isn't fighting. It will be easier, and there's no chance of him escaping or hurting us."

"So you're suggesting that we trap him while you're in there, then lock him in there while you go back to your other body."

"Yes, but someone needs to watch my physical body. I don't fancy getting stuck jumping between different host bodies for the rest of my life."

"I can stay."

"Okay."

Jamie bravely stood while the rest of us teleported into a kind of underground cavern. It was built a long time ago specifically for this purpose, and I watched Blake walk back into the secure prison. Everyone else conjoined hands to cast an incantation to hold in my father, but I just felt that something was missing... Devon. I felt his mind fill up my chest again, and I began to whisper to him through the bond. He fed his energy through my hands, and the prison began to enclose. As long as we keep coming back every year to replenish, my father would live in there. The magic concluded with a burst of Dev's purple sealing magic, and the man would be trapped forever. We listened for a few seconds before we heard him shouting about getting free, so we knew that Blake had gotten out safe... Good fucking riddance to my father.