chapter fifteen

That night, time seemed to have stopped for Flora, as it seemed like the night was going on forever. The nature fairy just couldn't close her eyes without reconsidering Faragonda's state from this afternoon.

She turned around towards her husband, who was sleeping soothingly, as he breathed slowly. Flora moved a strand of his hair away from his face and smiled.

“Helia, you awake?” Flora softly uttered, not occurring too noisy in case she surely wakes him up. “Sorry, you were so tired.” She caressed his face before sitting up on the bed and resting her back on the headboard.

Flora didn't turn the lights on, just stared into the darkness, that had been lightened up by the moon's light. She took a deep breath then turned her legs around and let her naked feet touch the carpeted floor. She silently walked towards her daughter's room, and pushed the door, as it was already slightly open.

Lilian was sleeping peacefully since she hadn't her nap that day; she was very tired after eating dinner in the evening and within half an hour later, she fell asleep on the couch and Helia bought her upstairs to her room. Flora walked in, kneeling to look at her daughter, whose lips were slightly parted and her cheeks reddened.

“You sure were tired too, my little girl.” Flora chuckled, leaning in to kiss her head. She stood up, about to leave her daughter's room before she noticed a paper on Lilian's little desk. It was the drawing her husband made and gave it to her when he came back from his visit to his mother, Rosa.

Flora felt the sudden urge to pick it up and examine it. She was bothered by the fact that she never seen the flower, but something tells her she did already seen it, she just didn't know where or when exactly. Suddenly, the paper flew away from her hand, making her jump as she stared at the paper land next to Lilian instead.

“What in the world!?” Flora mumbled, trying not to be too loud to wake her daughter. “Hey! What are you trying to do?” Flora was about to take the paper away from Lilian when some kind of imperceptible magical spiral pushed her away slightly. “Woah, okay, easy there.”

Somehow, the drawing calmed down a bit, listening to the nature fairy. Flora, for a split second, thought she just saw the flower in the paint move, but when she blinked again, it wasn't next to Lilian anymore but back on the desk.

“W-what-- You know what, I just need some... some air!”

The nature fairy gave up and immediately left the room, semi-closing the door, as she knew that's the way Lilian liked. She was trying to elaborate on what happened.

“Am I dreaming or am I dreaming, but did a drawing just pushed me with some kind of mystic invisible wave and went back to where it was before?!” Flora thought, repeating the scene in her head then she looked at Helia sleeping as nothing happened. “And you! What kind of dreams you had to draw that demonic flower?!”

She giggled a little at herself of how she just asked someone a question while they're sleeping.

Flora sighed but then an idea came to her mind. She opened the window all the way up and felt the breeze on her tanned skin. Flora stepped back and transformed into her fairy form as she opened her wings and flew out of the mansion.

The fairy let herself relax up in the sky in the air, as she was flying around Gardenia since she needed to get her wings back in shape and clear her mind. There was barely anyone out and most lights were out, only the stars light the sky like snowflakes in the night, yet appear still, like an old photograph.

“Such a beautiful scene.” Flora smiled, enjoying the wind brushing her face and hair. Although, her mind began rethinking of the ancient story of Her Excellence, as Faragonda said.