t h i r t y n i n e

For the next few days, Aerin had put a little distance between her and Jeno and her efforts in doing so were really noticeable

Every time Jeno would engage in any sort of skinship, like holding hands, she would either hold it for a few seconds and then let go for whatever reason or she would just pull her hand away before he could even touch it. At lunch, they were usually sharing, trading this and that and just enjoying food from both of their trays but now Aerin would just eat the food on hers and when Jeno asked her if she wanted to try something from his tray, she would just decline and keep on eating her food. The pout on Jeno's face after everytime Aerin rejected him almost made Renjun puke and poor Renjun couldn't take it anymore.

One day, Jeno decided that he had enough of this and asked Renjun if he did something wrong to upset Aerin.

"I don't think you did anything.", Renjun replied to his friend with a shrug.

"Then why is she like this?", Jeno whined, making Renjun looked at him with an I'm-judging-you look.

"I think it has something to do with what happened in class the other day. I don't really know though, I don't really understand what happened either. I just heard Aerin telling Somin to leave her parents alone, she seemed really affected by what Somin did. You should probably try and talk to her. Jaemin, Jinhee and I already tried but she wouldn't say anything."

With that in mind, Jeno cornered Aerin at her locker an afternoon after class. The girl closed her locker, jumping when she suddenly saw Jeno leaning against the locker next to hers.

"Renjun told me what happened. Is that why you've been so distant lately?"

"I-", Aerin fidgeted with her fingers, not looking at Jeno in the eyes.

"Look at me, please.", Jeno cupped her cheek, his thumb caressing it gently.

Aerin raised her head slowly, looking at Jeno with a pout. If they weren't having a conversation about something important he would have definitely kissed her. Yeah, definitely.

"Can Somin really make my parents lose their job?"

"I don't know, she can be unpredictable when she wants to but we'll find a solution, 'kay? Together.", Jeno said, bringing Aerin into a hug.

"Stop giving me the kdrama speech or I'll punch you.", Aerin mumbled against his chest, a small smile appearing on her face.

"There's my little Aerin.", he said, smiling while ruffling her hair.

That afternoon, Somin received a really unpleasant text from one of her friends telling her how Aerin and Jeno were hugging near the lockers' area along with a picture of them, "This girl really thinks I'm a joke, doesn't she? I'm going to show her she messed with the wrong person."

a/n: okay the part where jeno comforts aerin made me cringe ngl but like i had to put it in 🤧