3

My mom sets the fruit trays on the table outside. "Bella, take this glass bowl and go get more ice from the fridge for the cooler."

"Can't dad do it? I'm tanning."

"He's barbecuing the hot dogs and hamburgers. Now come and get this." She says, holding out the bowl.

"Ugh." I take off my sunglasses and get up. I walk back inside to the kitchen. I fill up the bowl with ice cubes. I shout. "Mom! When are the guests coming over?"

The doorbell chimes two times.

"Never mind," I say, setting the bowl on the counter. I walk to the front door opening it up.

"Happy Memorial Day! I brought salsa and chips."

"Mr. Till? What are you doing here?"

"Your parents didn't tell you? They invited me."

"No, but come in! They are in the back. Follow me." I grab the bowl of ice and walked outside into the backyard.

"Lucas, welcome!" My mom says, coming up to him and hugging him. "Did you bring your suit?"

"Was I suppose to?"

"If you wanted to swim."

"Dang, I wish I knew. I must have missed it when you texted."

My dad closes the grill and sets down his spatula. "You young man can borrow one of mine. I will go find you one now."

"Great, thanks. Where should I put this?" He says, holding up his salsa and chips in the air.

"Follow me." My mom says, walking him over to the snack section.

I dump the ice into the cooler. I think we will need one more bowl. I walk inside to get more ice. I turn around to walk back out.

"I like your suit." Mr. Till says, walking past me with one of my dad's suits in his hands.

"Me too," I say, past his ear. I dump the last bowl in the cooler. I wander over to the snacks. I take a chip and dip it in Lucas's salsa.

Lucas startles me from behind. "How does it taste?" He says, treating himself to one.

"Amazing. Did you buy it?"

"Nope."

"Really? Wow." I say, going in for another one.

"I'm just kidding. I bought it."

"You had me there."

"Bella, go to your father and get the food." My mom says, calling for me.

"Duties calls," I say, leaving.

At the table, everyone is sharing stories. I didn't talk much. Most of the people here are adults. My cousin is here, but she is on her phone. She is two years old than me. She's 18, and I'm 16.

"Hey mom, are we stilling doing the water balloon fight?"

"No, I don't think so. We are old, and our bones are fragile. But if you can find someone go right ahead."

"Emily wanna do a water balloon fight?"

"No, I'm busy," Emily says, sliding her finger on her screen.

"I will do it," Lucas says, interrupting.

"Really?"

He gets up from his seat. "Yeah, let's get cleaned up."

Lucas and I sat by the hose and filled and tied one ballon by one. I throw a yellow balloon at him.

"Hey! Don't start yet. Let me take off my shirt."