15

It's the Fourth of July. My parents haven't arrived back yet. I'm outside with Lucas under the dark smooth wood gazebo reading my book with a strawberry and banana smoothie beside me.

"Mom?!" I say, running up to her and hugging her.

"You guys didn't think we would miss the 4th of July?" My mother says in shock. "It's your favorite holiday, young lady."

The amount of hysteria I get on the 4th of July brings me an overwhelming sensation. Fourth of July is a big deal for my family because my great-grandpa, my grandpa, and my brother was in the military. We host a big party every year, honoring the veterans and our Independence for America. We do fireworks, a barbecue, a bonfire, discussing memories regarding my grandpas, and we come in as one whole family. I invited Dalton and his father to come to join us. The gathering starts at 3 pm. I'm going to run to the store with my mom and get the supplies that we  still yet need. Lucas and my dad will stay here and start unthawing the meat. 

It's 3 o'clock for the festivity to begin! My family begins to show up in groups. My aunts and uncles are here with my cousins, my grandma shows up with her famous Fourth of July sugar cookies, and my mom's co-workers are showing up with their friends as well. And I can't forget my dads beer buddies.

I chill next to Emily in the back of the backyard while she is on her phone like always. She hasn't changed one bit since the last time I saw her. Although she did get another boyfriend, her new victim, we have never gotten along. When I was little, she would always antagonize me because I got more than her. She was jealous. I call her the drama queen when she doesn't get her way. I still don't know why I still bother to try to be her friend.

Lucas comes up to me with a spatula in his hand. "Hey, foods done."

"Okay, I will make a plate in a few thanks," I say, smiling.

Did I forget to mention that he and I are wearing our matching swimsuits? It's adorable. I notice Dalton and his father walk through my sliding door that leads to the backyard.

I get up and run over to him. "Hey! You showed up!" I say, hugging him.

"Of course!" He says, hugging me back.

"Nice to see you again, Mr. Carrington."

"You too, Bella."

"Who is this?" My mom says, sneaking up behind me.

"This is my friend Dalton and his father. I met him at the gas station where Benard use to work."

"Benard doesn't work there anymore?"

"He went into a nursing home. He got too exhausted taking care of the place alone." Dalton explains.

"We will have to go visit him one day." My mom says to me.

"Yes, I would like that."

"My apologies! So rude of me. I am Mrs. Campbell Bella's mom, as you already can tell."

Mr. Carrington puts his hand out for a handshake. "Nice to meet you."

"Let's go get some food," I say to Dalton.

I walk off with Dalton leaving our parents to talk.

"Is Dalton going to Dakota high school this year?"

"Yes, he is."

"My daughter is going to be a senior there."

"Yes, she told me. She is going to give my son a tour. I hope they are in the same class. They seem good together. He is shy, but with her, he is blooming out of his hole."

"I agree. Come along, and you can meet my husband and join him for a beer if you drink."

"That would be great."

It's getting dark, and fireworks will be shooting off any time soon. I went swimming with Dalton, Lucas, and his friends from last time. I absolutely love my new bathing suit. My mom commented on it without any hatred. She normally picks out my suits that has me covered. My dad gets out one of his fireworks that he shoots off every year that is gorgeous in the night sky.

Before his marvelous firework, we viewed the other ones going off and the ones that the neighbors are shooting off as well. We have the Horsetail, Crossette, Willow, Peony, and Chrysanthemum performing. Lucas wraps his pinkie around mine. I was about to faint because of the butterflies in my stomach. This is so charming. The best part about it is that no one won't be able to see because we are standing in the back, and it's dark out with the firework smoke  filling the atmosphere.

It's time for my dad to set off his Spinner firework. He has been shooting it off for the past 5 years, and I don't get tired of it. It gets more beautiful each year. Dalton is standing next to me and we both turn our heads a couple of times smiling at each other.

We gather around the bonfire. A couple of people left, so there isn't a big crowd. As of right now, I'm roasting a marshmallow for my S'more. Dalton has a gram cracker with two Hershey chocolates waiting for me. Lucas is with my dad and his buddies drinking beers. I enjoyed my S'more and so did Dalton. He has never made a S'more before, and it was amusing to watch. The first time he burnt the marshmallow.

It's now the end of the night and things are whining down. The drama queen left grinning at me, which was disturbing. Dalton stayed over late, helping me clean up. Lucas is getting offensive because he drank a few beers, which made him drunk. My dad demanded him to stay overnight so he can sober up.

I lay on top of my bed covers, staring at my fan that is spinning in circles as I listen to classical music. Classical music clears my mind. I get a mild ding from my phone. I roll over to my side, grabbing it from my nightstand. It's a text from Lucas.

L: "Come to the guest room."

B: "I can't, but you know how bad I want too."

L: "I understand. Goodnight love."

It's a shame that him and I have to delete our messages and only keep the professional ones. He is so cute when he texts. I adore him calling me love.

 I adore him calling me love