20

Since the day Lucas broke up with me, it's been awkward at school. It's hard to not look and talk to him. He gives me a few glances here and there, but I can hardly make it through. Without the help of Dalton, I would be going crazy. I miss everything about him. His voice when he isn't talking science, his touching and kisses, and just him. What I hate is that I don't spend my lunchtime with him anymore. I'm back alone where it all started. I have been hanging out with Dalton more, which isn't so bad. We have grown a lot closer.

Homecoming is this Saturday the 10th. I still haven't gotten a dress nor a date. I don't need a date, but I also don't want to go alone. I could ask Dalton, but he doesn't like the big group things. He once said that he didn't want to go to homecoming. Though, I'm still not sure if I'm even going. I want to go. I have never been to one. You know what, I am going to ask Dalton myself because I doubt he won't ask me.

B: "Hey, can you come over?"

D: "Let me ask my dad"

He texts back after a couple of minutes.

D: "Omw"

I went to Google and searched "Omw" It means on my way. I go back to the messaging app.

B: "Just walk on in. I'll be in my room"

D: "Ok"

I lay on my bed, thinking. Do I do a proposal or straight up ask him. Ugh, I will just ask him without the proposal. He isn't my boyfriend, so he doesn't need a sign or whatever people do to ask people out. I don't need him assuming anything. He probably thinks I'm already a lesbian. He mentions at times about my dating life and asks me if these guys are cute on Instagram or Tik Tok. I always change the subject when he is on that topic.

"What's up, chica!"

"Hey, D!" I say, propping myself up. "I need to talk to you about something."

"He sits on my bed. Go ahead."

"So do you know how homecoming is right around the corner...?"

"Yes...?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?"

His face lights up with a substantial smile. "As a date?"

I think about it. "Sure, it's a date."

It's not what it looks like. I didn't want to say it's not because who cares. We are just friends that are going together to a high school dance.

"Awesome! I wanted to ask you, but I'm a wimp."

I laugh. "That felt good, like I have control."

"If you think about it, it would have been more proper if I did it." He says.

"What's wrong with a woman asking a man?"

"Nothing, but I want to get you flowers and a sign."

"Oh, I don't need that!"

"You deserve some."

"Well, I ain't stopping you," I say, giggling. I quit laughing. "Oh, another question. So Lucas use to be my tutor last year for biology, and this year he can't. So I was wondering, since you are a tutor, can you tutor me in the stuff I struggle with?"

"Of course! We can do it at lunch."

"Great! Now I don't have to be alone."

"What happened to hanging out with Mr. Till during lunch?"

"Uh... He got busy."

"Oh, okay."

"I don't have a dress yet. Wanna go shopping?"

"Yeah! Let me text my dad and ask him."

Dalton texts his dad, and he said yes. I texted my mom and told her the plan. We are swinging by his house so he can get money from his father. At school tomorrow we will purchase the tickets.

I look around and found the perfect dress that isn't too revealing, and it's 60% off, and my mom will love that. The original price was $139.00, but it's $55.60. The dress is a blue Morgan & co off the shoulder high/low cocktail dress. I got black heels to go along. Now we are on the hunt for Dalton. We go over to his section of the mall.

"Holy shit, these suits are costly as hell," I say, looking at a price tag.

"Let's look somewhere else."

We eventually found a suit. We had walked around the whole store looking for the ideal one. 

We should have brought his dad, but we did it without an adult. For his suit, we put together a navy blue Dax slim fit suit jacket, a white Dress shirt, a navy flat front solid stretch wool dress pants, a  pine belt, and pine dress shoes.

We hung our clothes on the hooks on the top roof in my car, so they wouldn't get wrinkled. We drove back to my house my mom's car was in the drive away. We walk in the door to her setting the table.

"Let me see your dress!" She says, running up to me. She peaks in the long dress bag. 

"Beautiful!"

"I got 60% off!"

"Amazing dear! Let me see yours, Dalton."

He shows her his suit.

"You two are going to look beautiful. I love the matching colors."

I smile. "Thanks. What's for dinner?"

"Seasoned chicken, potatoes, and salad."

"Yummy. Can Dalton stay if it's okay with his dad?" I look at Dalton from behind.

"My dad will be fine with it."

"Of course, sugar. You are always welcomed here." My mom says politely.