37

"You are now 12 weeks pregnant." The technician replies. "The baby is the size of a lime. The length is 2 1/4, and the weight is 1/2 ounce, and here is the baby's heartbeat. It looks to be strong." The technician smiles as she rubs the cold lubrication jelly on my stomach. Lucas from behind kisses me on my head. The technician proceeds to print out three photos. She wipes the jelly off my belly, and I pull down my shirt and get up from the table. We left the building with Lucas holding my hand and walking me to his car. He opens the door for me, and I sit down. He always treats me like a princess. On the way home, I got a gift for my grandma to surprise her. I got her a mug that says, "Promoted to great-grandma." with a cute little flower underneath.

There isn't much of a difference to my stomach. I look bloated from a thanksgiving dinner. I hardly have told anyone I am pregnant. I wanted to get information on our precious kiddo first, so when people ask questions, I can answer them. I arrive home with Lucas to seeing my grandma playing Dominoes with my mom at the dinner table. I put the gift bag behind me. I had already got the gift wrapped and with tissue paper poking out of the top.

"Hey grams, I got you a little something," I say, smiling.

I know she will be thrilled that I have a baby on the way. She will be even happy that Lucas is the father. She adores him and his adorable cheeks.

"You did?" She says surprisedly. "Hand that over!" She says, having her hands out to reach.

I look over to my mom, and she and I grin at each other. I pass her the bag, and she begins taking out the white glittery tissue paper. She grabs her glasses that hang around her neck and begins to read the cup.

She gasps in shock. "Oh my god! You're pregnant?" She says, looking at my belly.

I excitedly giggle and nod my head. "Yes," I say, smiling.

She sets down the mug. "Let me see your belly!"

I walk closer to her and lift my shirt over my belly button. Her cold hand touches my warm skin.

"I can't believe this... I can't wait to meet this pumpkin. How many weeks are you?"

"12 weeks. I got my ultrasound not long ago." I say, pulling out the three photos. I hand her the black and white sheet.

She places her hand on her face. "Oh my... such a beautiful little thing."

I pull down my shirt, and I look over at my mom. "Her reaction is better than yours," I say, laughing. I look back at grams. "Dad and mom were about to tip over."

"You know I had a feeling this was going to happen soon." She says, winking at me.

I make a weird face. Lucas pulls me in and kisses me on the forehead.

"Let me take a look at those." My mom says, reaching for the photos on the table.

I slide them over to her.

Gram gets up and hugs Lucas. "Congratulations to you two!" She releases Lucas and leans over, kissing me on the cheek. "Let's go out and celebrate! Dinner and dessert on me!"

"Can I choose?"

"Sure, dear. What's on your mind?"

"Mongolian Grill"

"Haven't been there in years! When should we go?" My grandma says, looking at my mom.My mom checks the time on her phone. "It's still a little early. Should we go for lunch and dinner?

"Yeah, that's fine." My gram turns to Lucas and me. "Is that okay, kiddos?"

"As long as I get fed, then yes."