27

My mom slides my curtains open, making the bright daylight outside connect with my somnolent eyes. "Wake up now! You can't keep taking naps. What has gotten into you? Do I need to take you to a hospital?"

I shove my head into my pillow. "No!" I say bitterly.

She strips my brand-new marble bed sheets off of me. "You are going to make us late for our activity today."

I push aside my pillow and haul back my sheets over me. "I'm staying home, period."

"Do I need to get Lucas? You seem to always listen to him? He might as well live here and be the parent."

My heart begins to race. "Nope! I'm up!" I say, shoving my sheets away from me.

"Good and be down in five." She says, walking out of my room. She peeks back in the doorway. "Don't you dare lay back down."

I roll my eyes. "I won't."

Today is April 22, Earth Day. My mom enjoys fixing up events to help the world on Earth Day or for any holiday or special day.

I toss on Lucas's grey hoodie with tight denim jeans. I usually dress up for events like this, but not today. I am too tired to get dressed. I stick my hair into a messy bun. I walk downstairs with my right hand holding my white converse.

"Grab yourself a granola bar or fruit snack. We're leaving now, and dinner will be late." My mom says, holding trash bags.

I slip on my shoes. "I'll eat when we get back."

"Are you sure? It might be nightfall when we eat."

I kneel and lace them up. "I will be alright."

"Okay let me go give your father some Advil, and we will be set to go once Lucas arrives." "Lucas?!"

"Yes! He loves earth day and offered to help."

"Of course, he did," I mumble.

"What did you say? I didn't hear you." She asks me to repeat.

"Nothing. I will be out in a sec."

She looks over at the door. "Speaking of him!" My mom says, opening our screen door as he walks up to the porch.

"Looking gorgeous as always," Lucas says, hugging her and getting a glimpse of me in his sweatshirt.

I recognize his expression he always makes when I would wear his clothes. She lets go of the hug. "Your stuff is on the living room couch."

"Alright, thank you!"

He walks past by me, and I get a whiff of his cologne. The same smell from his sweatshirt I'm wearing. I pick up my bag that is leaning against the wall by the front door that contains water, gloves, trash bags, plant seeds, and a small shovel. I pull it over my shoulder and begin to leave.

"Wait, Bell." I hear Lucas speak.

I turn around. "What, Lucas?" I say, avoiding eye contact. "Come here... I made this for you."

Lucas holds in his hands a homemade Shamballa bracelet with my name in beads. The string is black that wraps around my name beautifully. I never acknowledge he knew how to string up bracelets.

"Wow... It's pretty."

"The bracelet I got you for Christmas was scattered all over the floor, and I felt the need to make you a new one."

I rub my neck. "Yeah... Sorry about that. I feel so guilty..."

"It's okay. I don't blame you."

"You two coming?" My mom shouts from outside.