17

B: "Happy 30th birthday, oldie!"

L: "Haha, thank you."

B: "What are your plans for today."

L: "Just drinking home alone."

B: "Why don't you come along to Dave and Buster's with my family and me. My mom wanted to invite you since you did a lot for our family recently and for my birthday party and it's your birthday today and they wanted to celebrate if you are free. So what do you think?"

L: "I don't know... There isn't any beer."

B: Have you not been there? They all sorts of alcohol."

L: "Okay, I am in!"

B: "Good! My mom will send you the details."

My parents and I are waiting for Lucas to show up. We are in the game room where the bar and seats are. My mom and dad got a booth so we can come and go as we please.

My mom gets up from the booth. "Good, you're here! Happy birthday!"

"Thanks for having me," Lucas says, hugging her.

My dad gets up. "Happy birthday, bud." He says, patting him on the shoulder.

"Thank you."

"I will be at the bar." My dad answers, shifting to my mom.

"Honey, can you get me a strawberry mango margarita."

"Of course, sweetheart. Do you want anything, Lucas?" My dad askes him. 

"Yeah, but I will meet you at the bar in one second."

"Will do, son." He says, stepping away.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom before drinking the margarita. You know what happens when I drink..." My mom says, kissing me on the cheek.

"You do that mom," I say, smiling. I turn to Lucas. "Sucks that I can't drink with you guys."

"You can... in about four years." He says, sliding into the booth.

I slide in across from him. "That is sooo long though."

"There's nothing special about it." He says, shrugging off the fact that he is lying.

"Then why do you drink like my father," I question him.

"How am I supposed to answer that? I assume I shouldn't take that as a compliment "

"Well, duh, it's not a compliment. My dad drinks like he is a part-time alcoholic, and I'm thankful he doesn't get angry."

"Drinking gets rid of the problems. It relaxes some people."

"What do you have to be stressed about?"

"Uh... Let's change the subject." He says nervously.

There is a silence between us. I think I was too harsh and triggered something from his past.

He slightly leans over the table. "You have a little something." He says, licking his thumb and wiping the side of my cheek.

"What was that for?" I say, wiping his salvia off my cheek.

"You had a lipstick stain on your cheek from your mom."

"Oh, haha, thanks." I place my hands on my lap. "Well, anyway I know you are here for the beer and obviously me of course, but I got you a power card so you can join me in games. There are 135 chips on the card."

"Okay, cool. I can't wait!"

"You're not going to fight me on this?"

"No, I'm too excited about the booze, and when I play games with you, I'll be all relaxed like I said earlier about being intoxicated.