Ch 24

Enzo was quite disappointed when he found Kate was sleeping soundly on their wedding night. Before coming to the room he checked on Santo and his son looked extremely feverish. The little devil enjoyed his parents wedding more than anyone else that were present in the ceremony. Shaking his head, he touched Kate's face and pushed a few strands of hair over her eyes and caressed her cheeks. Planting a soft kiss on her forehead, he whispered, "I wish you'd understand me".

*****

The next day again Kate woke up to an empty bed. She should get used to that by then. After doing her morning routine, she went to check on Santo. Her baby was still sleeping. When she touched his forehead, her hand was burning against his small forehead. Santo had a high fever. Oh god!  Kate screamed and shouted Enzo's name, but no one responded. Taking Santo in her arms, she went to look for Enzo.

Enzo was busy in his study, while his right hand man was explaining his schedule of the day. Then suddenly the door burst open, making Enzo to curse at whoever had decided to disturb him. But his was shocked to see his wife was in a hell mess, crying, hiccuping and holding Santo who was fast asleep.

"What the hell happened, Cara?"

"S-Santo, h-he has a f-fever!"

Enzo did feel that yesterday when he checked on Santo. But then Santo's forehead was burning up. He immediately took Santo from her and ordered to bring the family doctor.

****

Santo was suffering from a seasonal fever and for the change of sudden environment. Kate felt relaxed when she heard it wasn't anything serious. But her Chicago trip was postponed because of that. And she felt defeated, even though it wasn't in her hand to force Enzo about letting her go, she should take care of Santo First, then she would make sure to return her home.

After about a week or so, Santo was fully recovered and was ready to travel. Enzo was glad that he got a week before the journey, as he had to prepare a security team who would guard Kate when he wasn't able to stay around. When they reached their Chicago home, everything looked perfect. No one could tell the incident that happened there over a month ago.

When Enzo was about to say something, Kate went straight to her room with Santo and closed the door, locking from inside. She had enough of Enzo. Now that she was back in her home, she wouldn't need to cooperate with Enzo. She asked for a week and she'd be damn if she gave any chance to Enzo destroying her precious time.

Nicola arrived at Enzo's House, to see Kate and her adorable grandson. She missed them so much over the time. Unfortunately Kate didn't welcome her nor did she visit her. But Kate wasn't a heartless bitch, so she let Santo to reunite with his grandma, and Nicola was grateful for that.

Enzo felt relieved when his mother came to visit them. Leaving his mother to keep a eye on his family, he went to his Chicago comapany. He had appointed his one of most trusted men as an acting CEO of his company. After the long meeting with his business partner, he went to take care of his other business.

For the next few days went by quite smoothly. Nicola went back to the Orphanage and Kate once again fell into her old life routine. She loved being in Chicago. The freedom she was missing all long. But that was coming to an end. Her one week was about to end in just 2 days. Then she'd have to go back to that hell house. She didn't return just yet.

To save her, she called her foster parents and requested them to come over. Luckily her foster mom agreed and the next day she was with Kate in Chicago.

"Sorry to disappoint you Theresa, but we have to return Italy tomorrow. I have an urgent meeting there. And I can't just leave Kate and Santo behind."

Theresa wanted to spend more time with Kate, so she offered,

"Then why don't they come to stay with us? What do say honey? Is it okay?"  Theresa looked at Kate with pleading eyes.

Kate was more than okay, she then never wanted to leave Theresa's side,

"Of course, if that's not bothersome, then we would love to stay there. Plus I will get to see Mark." Then Kate looked back at Enzo and said, "Please Enzo, it's just for a few days. Then I'll be back in Italy. Please"

Enzo couldn't protest her pleading with Theresa observing them, so he had to agree but he didn't like the idea, not a bit.

*****

It had been two weeks since Enzo left for Italy, leaving his wife and Santo to Kate's foster parents. Kate was enjoying her time, alone time to think properly. Her rightful was in Chicago, that much she gathered from the last few days of her staying.

Enzo called her earlier that day and informed that he would be back by 7 to pick her up from her foster parents. Kate knew had to do something before her husband came back. Looking at Santo, then she made the hardest decision of her life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Not edited)