Ch 29

Kate and Enzo were on their way to the doctor's appointment, there was a sinister silence in the car. Tension grew between them but they still refused to break the silence.Enzo though kept giving her some glances time to time, otherwise the whole time his eyes were glued to the road. Whereas, Kate behaved that her husband wasn't present there, in the car with her.

They both felt relieved when they reached the hospital. Then Kate got out of the car without looking back. After checking her appointment with her previous doctor, they went inside.

"Welcome Kate. Nice to see you- " Dr. Jacobs stopped abruptly when she saw Enzo, "Ah you too Enzo, come come!"

They both greeted back the doctor and took their seats.

"So, how can I help you today?"

Kate then started speaking and gave the information the doctor required. After confirming that Kate was indeed 7 weeks pregnant, then the doctor suggested,

"We can do an ultrasound to check the heartbreak. So shall we proceed?"

This time Enzo replied, "Yes"

The next two hours went in daze, filling out forms and hearing the heartbeat of their second child for the first time made Kate overwhelmed. Then she started crying at that moment. She didn't understand for herself that whether it was a happy tear or the sudden shock. Enzo gently wiped her tears and assured that everything would be alright.Thankfully the doctor gave them some privacy, using the chance, Kate poured her heart out in Enzo's embrace.

After Kate had calmed down, they went back to the doctor office.

"Everything looks fine with the baby. Congratulations to you both", said the doctor cheerfully.

Both Kate and Enzo just nodded their heads.

"So, I assume the pregnancy wasn't planned?", the blunt question of the doctor left Kate stunned.

Was her expression was that bad?

Kate clasped her hands together and nodded.

"It's Alright, Kate. Your 1st child is already walking and speaking now. Trust me, it's the best time to have the 2nd child."

Kate was ashamed of herself. Her lack of cheerfulness and excitement had caused the expression on the doctor who then thought Kate wasn't happy with her unplanned pregnancy. It was somewhat true. But it wasn't the baby that she wasn't happy about, It was the situation she was in. If they were in different scenario, then Kate would have been jumping, screaming with joy.

Kate then looked at Enzo who was sitting with a neutral expression. It was hard to decode what was going on his mind. She then looked at the doctor and gave her a weakly smile, then started,

"Thank you, Dina. It was all quite sudden that's why I'm still trying to process"

"Of course, Kate. Take your time. But I'm worried about your health honey!"

Enzo suddenly snapped his head towards the doctor and said,

"What's the problem? Is there any complications? She also had a bad experience in her early pregnancy when she was with Santo? Is this the same?"

"No no, it's just she has High blood pressure, and at this time she is underweight."

Enzo then shot his glare at Kate, reminding her the actions she had done in the past few weeks.

"Also, she had a high fever just 2 days ago. Kate you have to very careful in the 1st tri-semester. Try to be in bed and take rest as much as you can."

"Consider it done, Doctor." Enzo was still glaring at Kate.

Kate who was sitting quietly, then broke the silence,

"I'll try my best."

Dr. Jacobs smiled at her brightly and prescribed medications for Kate.

Enzo then started, "Umm... Is it okay for her to fly at this stage?"

Kate froze at her husband's blunt question and mentally prayed that her doctor would oppose this.

"I would suggest, it's best that if you wait till her 1st tri-semester end. I won't lie to you both but With her present condition, there's a high risk of miscarriage"

Kate gasped at the words and Enzo felt a sudden pain in his heart. The baby wasn't even born yet but already felt the connection between them.

"Also I would suggest to hold the sexual intercourses for the next two weeks. After that you know, if she is comfortable with it then you both can resume"

Kate still hadn't past the miscarriage phrase. She had to takes better care of herself.

"Thank you, doctor", replied Enzo.

"Anything else?", the doctor started and then looked at Kate.

Kate just shook her head and kept mum. After confirming her next schedule date, they headed back to home.

*******

In the car again there was ominous silence between them. Kate absent-mindedly let her hands on her stomach, caressing gently. She now had to protect two of her children as well as hers. The sudden movement caught Enzo's attention, and he looked at his wife's mid section where their child was growing.

Enzo didn't know how he felt when the doctor confirmed Kate's pregnancy. He wasn't sad but not excited too. He hadn't planned this amidst the chaos he had been going through. Protecting Kate and Santo were his 1st agenda. Fuck! Then came the other baby. Already he had a hard time handling Kate before, after that day how would he handle pregnant Kate who soon would be going through mood swings and carvings. Fuck! Cazzo! He was doomed.

Then Enzo suddenly placed his right hand on hers on top of her belly, and Kate met his gaze.

"Try to relax, Kate. Everything will be fine"

Kate pushed his hands away and said, "I can never be okay as long as I'm around you."

Enzo gripped on the steering tightly and hold his tongue. He didn't want to upset her right after their doctor's appointment. So he gave her time to process the sudden shock and kept his mouth shut for the rest of the ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Not edited )