two

...

...

...

"Nice joke, mom! ... Dad...?" I shifted my eyes to dad, waiting for him to say that it was a joke, only to see his eyes locked to the ground. "...Caroline...? Please tell me they're joking. This whole thing is a lie...right? This cannot possibly be true..." I could feel my heart stop for a second when Caroline shook her head. "B..but, dad! What about Noah, Nathan and Stephen? What about baseball? I am supposed to win take the nationals with them this year! Plus, how are WE supposed to play baseball in Japan? It's not like they would accept two foreign female into an all-boys sport club, right?" I said as a tear flowed down my left cheek. My heart began to feel heavy. I breathed hard. I couldn't accept it. This. Better. Not. Be. Happening. This is way too soon.

Dad started, "Sweetie, I obviously wouldn't force you to leave something that you love very much. I was supposed to go to Tokyo to research more about sports injuries and some other things, so I asked New York General Hospital ( I made this up ) whether you would still be able to join a baseball club in Japan. They recommended Seidou High School. They have a pretty good baseball team and made it to nationals a couple of times. The school accepted after I sent a clip of you pitching a forkball, screwball and knuckleball and your sister fielding. They were pretty much impressed by both your skills."

"Oh"

"I still don't want to leave though."

"I second that."

"They hold many practice games all year round, and you would be able to play many times. You might also improve your skills. We will be coming back to New York after two years when I am done researching and you would be done with schooling too." Dad said in a persuasive tone, with puppy eyes. Dang. He really knows our weak spot. We really loved playing baseball and would do anything for more. I. Don't. Wanna. Leave. Looking at our unconvinced face, mom decided to join in, "Come on, girls. This is for your father and my job. It is really important for us if we want to get a pay raise. It would benefit us and would for you too. But cold hard facts though, we are leaving whether you like it or not. Next week, pack all the things you need. Here are a list of things you might want to know."

Honestly speaking, I wasn't really surprised when mom said that because I knew we were going to leave no matter what. I took the long piece of paper from mom's hand and read it:

1. You will be leaving in dorms as we would be living really far from each other so you would not have to travel back and forth so much everyday.

2. You would have a separate dorms from the boys just for you two.

3. Remember to pack everything you need. Bigger items will be transported to the dorm before you move in.

4. Give us a call everyday.

5. You cannot break the no.4 rule.

6. We love you.

7. If you need help, call us.

8. If anyone bullies you, we give you the permission to take action. A punch or two wouldn't hurt anyone.

9. Study hard and play hard too. Remember to relax yourself and don't get too stressed up.

10. Enjoy studying in Japan while it lasts.

11. We hope the lessons we enrolled you in to learn some Japanese have paid off.

12. We miss you, we love you, and don't forget to do no.4 !

13. Forget to do no.4 once and we are going over to your school to check on you.

There was then some time of awkward silence between the four of us. All of us didn't know what to say to each other.

I decided to break the silence by saying "I'm going over to Noah's house. Needa tell them the news real quick."

Leaving the house, I really wanted to cry and shout. My parents knew the news this whole time and decided to keep it from me. "Whatever" I thought, "I would be able to adapt to it and I will come back to New York as soon as I know it! It wouldn't be that bad right?"

"Coming!" was what I heard after knocking on the chocolate-coloured door.

"Oh, uhh, Noah, I... uhh, well, let's just say that I have really bad news."