sixteen

"Hey," I waved to Chris, who was focusing so much on what he was reading.

He looked up and replied, "Oh, hello Crystal."

"Are you still interested in those Science comics?" I asked, smirking, with my head slanted to show some curiosity.

I mean, I did not actually have to ask, knowing that his favourite past time was always reading Science comics about some documentaries, Physics, Chemistry, or anything like that. He really liked Science after all.

"Yeah, I'm reading about the Leidenfrost Effect and how it is possible," Chris answered me and smiled warmly.

That smile always managed to warm my heart and cheer me up whenever I was down.

I took a seat next to him and took a peek about the topic he was reading about.

Chris' POV

When she sat beside me, I couldn't help but flashback to the time we dated. How we sat so close and cuddled together. How we always watch documentaries about animals or superficial things and she fell asleep on my shoulder. I took a quick glance at her. She was as beautiful, if not more than, as before.

"That's so cool, the water droplets would rise up on their own steam. Where did you get this book from?" Crystal said as she continued reading the book.

"I borrowed it from the library. I could lend it to you after I finish reading." I replied.

Crystal's POV

I was completely immersed into reading his book. It was explaining about the phenomenon and how it was possible. I got too carried away and just nodded at whatever Chris said without paying too much attention to it.

With a mind of its own, my hands lifted from my side and went to take the comic from Chris' hands.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" I said as I accidentally touched his hands which was still under mine.

My heart pounded. It just reminded me of the times we held hands and strolled on the beach, park or wherever. I could see a faint blush on Chris' face as he looked away and took his hands off the book. Heat went up my face as I took the book in my hands and pretended that nothing just happened.

"Chris-senpai! I have a quest- Oh, am I interrupting something? Why do you two look so awkward?" a familiar voice rang.

I looked up and saw the person who spoke.

Without a care, he just squeezed between us and sat.

"Hey, scoot over, I want to talk with Chris-senpai," he just said before turning his back against me.

"You don't have to be so rude, you know?" I rolled my eyes at him.

He ignored me and continued discussing with Chris on how they can help Sawamura-dam improve on his techniques.

"Right, I have to call mom to check in on her." I said to myself.

With that, I left their conversation. Not like I was part of it anyways. I returned the comic to Chris and took my phone from the desk, heading outside.

I keyed the numbers on my phone and Dad picked you on the other line.

"How's my sweetie doing there? Mom's showering right now, do you need anything?" Dad spoke.