nineteen

"Ball four!"

"Sorry..." Sawamura muttered.

Sawamura's POV

I'm not doing well... What is wrong with me? Am I nervous? But I don't feel my heart jumping out though. What is wrong with me? I just warmed up perfectly fine earlier. Ugh, I can't let Furuya win me! This is frustrating.

"Seidou has called for a change in players." The announcement said.

Eh, it's not me right? I have 3 innings! How can it be me? Goodbye, baseball career! It's been nice working with you!

Crystal's POV

Eh, is Sawamura crying? Oh god, what happened to him?

I turned my head to the left, only to see Chris gearing up in the catcher's uniform.

"Chris," I walked up to him.

He turned around, "Yes, Crystal?"

"Are you going to play with Sawamura?" I questioned.

"The coach thinks that I would be able to bring more out from Sawamura's potential. So yes, I'm playing. This might be the last chance I get." Chris replied.

"Your arm hasn't really recovered yet. Be careful alright? If you feel more pain, you can stop playing. Good luck! I'll cheer for you!" I cheered him on with a fist in the air.

"I'll catch for you if I can after the third inning. I would like to try it again. It's been long." He smiled.

"Catcher change. Substituting would be Yuu."

He laughed and went on outside to the diamond.

After hearing the announcement, Sawamura's face lit up immediately like a fire. His eyes were sparkling with excitement.

Sawamura's POV

Chris is catching for me? Awesome! I can't let him down! I Will show him what he taught me!

"Chris-senpai! I'm showing you what you've painstakingly taught me!" I shouted with a peace sign towards Chris-senpai.

"It wasn't even painful. The only painful thing is your shouting." Chris thought into his head with a sweat drop.

"Okay, okay, Sawamura. Show me what you've got. This is probably the last time we'd play together. Let's do our best!" Chris whispered into my ear with the catcher mitt covering his mouth.

I was shocked. I completely forgot that only two people from the second-string will be able to make it to first-string. No, Chris and I will make it. I will make it happen.

"Balls will come flying your way! Please be prepared and thank you in advance fielders for getting the ball!" I shouted.

Crystal's POV

Well, the old Sawamura is back!

With Chris catching for him, Sawamura three his moving fastball with more accuracy.

"Piang!"

But the first baseman caught it.

Sawamura gave up a few runs, resulting in Kokudoukan scoring one point.

After two outs and two strikes, we were anticipating for another out before we could score.

"Piang!"

The ball made contact with the bat. However, it still continued moving behind the catcher. It was obviously going to be a foul. Before the umpire could even call out, Chris sprinted towards the fence when the ball was losing its speed and power, and dropping to the ground.

Somehow, he managed to catch the ball, but he crashed into the wall. Everyone was stunned. I was stunned. Chris has an arm injury that would have a huge impact on his future career. Why did he do that?

I was about to run out to check on him when he sat up and lifted his mitt, revealing the white object in his mitt.

"Strike!"

The last strike that we needed.

It was now the top of the third inning, which means I get to pitch the next inning.

Before I went to the bullpen to pitch with Ono, I walked up to Chris, handing him a cup of water. I was concerned about his injury and asked, "Chris, are you okay?"

"Don't worry about me. I'm in good shape." He replied, with warmth in his eyes.

"You're really hungry for victory, aren't you?" I laughed.

He nodded his head and smiled, "It might be the last time I'm going to play so I'm giving it my all."

After that, I called Ono and we went to the bullpen to warm up. I was hyped. After seeing Chris' stun, I was excited.

"Top of the third inning, Seidou's turn to bat." the announcement said.

"Kokudoukan has called for a pitcher change."

Curiosity killed that cat, so I went to the dugout to see who was pitching against us.

Everyone turned their heads to face Kokudoukan's dugout.

"Substituting would be Onikawa-kun." (i made up this name btw) the announcement continued.

As soon as that was said, a buff guy stepped out.

He had black hair and stern eyes. His eyes looked like he could kill anyone just by looking at it, like it would pierce any soul. His lips were sealed tightly, not even smiling, adding to his sternness and seriousness. He was fit, his arms were muscular, probably even stronger than some of the boys here I must say.

As I looked closer, I saw his lips parting the closer he got to the mound. As soon as he reached the mound, he smiled gleefully, showing his teeth. With my current impression of him and his muscular body, it was unexpected.

I was beyond terrified. He looked really scary, honestly. I almost fainted but luckily I caught myself before passing out. My heart was pumping so hard I thought it would jump out of my chest.

I looked around me — and by the looks of the team's face, they were surely shock and astonished of the sudden transition as well. Their eyes and mouths were wide open.

The fifth-hole then went up to bat.

As the Oinikawa guy pitched, I observed him.

His looks were already a problem, and no his pitching style just adds more to it. His form was different, unique. His legs were raised higher than normal as he had enough leg muscle to balance and hold his weight. This made his pitch to be released later, messing the timing of the batter. His arm swings all the way down, like throwing it to the ground, making his pitch naturally Low. However, he had no control of his pitch. The breaking of the pitch depended on the way he held the ball. His ball has power, and a speed of close to 145km/h. All in all, his pitch is wild.

The shocking thing was that, his catcher was able to sort of interpret where the pitch was going to go, and catch the pitch. Once he guessed wrongly, it would be a goner.

No one knows where the ball would go until they actually see it, which was going to be too late.